Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction

I purchased a vehicle two days ago without my cosigner present

I purchased a vehicle two days ago without my cosigner present and i was to come back today with the cosigner so they could sign the contracts. Now the cosigner does not want to sign the contracts. What are my options? Can i turn just return the car to the dealership. Is the contract still binding?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your situation.

You are in possession of the vehicle?

The dealership allowed you to take the vehicle knowing that the co-signer hadn't signed.

Any guarantees made by the co-signer in writing or verbally to the dealership?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i am in possession of the vehicle. yes dealership know that the co-signer didn't sign. no the dealership did not speak to or receive any verbal guarantees from the cosigner

Then the dealership has two options:

1) to demand you bring back the vehicle - the contract is voided. No damages or costs to you except for a couple of days usage at most - they would be entitled to fair rental value for the days you had possession of the vehicle.

2) to let you keep the vehicle and make the payments pursuant to the contract without a co-signor.

Usually, when situations like yours occur - they opt for #2 - that you keep the vehicle as per the contract.

Sometimes, they try to "bluff" you and state that since you don't have a co-signer you now have to pay a higher interest and/or place a larger downpayment - don't let them do that and don't agree to such. Inform them that they can have the vehicle back.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.