LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator

I sent this email to a healthcare reporter. I am wondering

I sent this email to a healthcare reporter. I am wondering if there are issue that can be addressed from a Consumer Protection Law angle.

... Alicia Carew had also lied to me about the scheduling of an appointment with Dr. Frederick Long, and said that I needed to immediately take a cab to get to Dr. Long's office in the East 60's, (when the appointment was actually scheduled for the next day, a Wednesday) because of some crisis that she or someone else was trying to create. On the Tuesday in the Fall of 2010 when I had the appointment with Alicia Carew at CCNY's disability center, I overheard people talking about someone leaving a suicide note, so it's possible that they made up this 'emergency' appointment imagining that I wrote it . Alicia also emailed people during my appointments. It was unclear if she was emailing them about their grades being bad, or emailing someone else on my time about my grades being bad. The Student Disability Center did not answer emails I sent to them asking about Alicia's degrees or qualifications. In general, it seemed like she had spoken to people without my consent, because she would take positions on issues that I was dealing with before I told her much about my circumstances.

The Wellness and Counseling Center at CCNY ( http://wellness.ccny.cuny.edu/ ) is a different office and I had problems with them also. They did nor reply to emails asking for the names of current a previous directors. ( They have gone through at least three since 2010.) I was attacked by several white people in their mid 20's to early 30's on CCNY's campus in early fall 2010. I am white, and I mention white because whites on CCNY's campus (as well as the neighborhood) are a minority, and in the 10031 Zipcode , violent activity by whites is unusual. I complained about this to the Alicia Carew, as well as the people who were in fall 2010 the current directors of the Wellness and Counseling Center as well as Student Affairs. I said that since these individuals knew my name and I has no idea who they were, there was a good chance that they were US Government personnel in an intelligence or Law Enforcement agency, as well as what I mentioned above. At about this time, probably the week before, there were also CIA and State Department recruiting presentations on campus and I attended one of the presentations. I asked that CCNY or the Wellness and Counseling center go to the ACLU on my behalf, since abusive behavior or targeting of citizens by the government might be something that the ACLU could address, and I assumed I would have a better case if CCNY would back me up. The female administrators I was meeting with said that they would not do this unless I became a regular client of their Counseling Center. This did little to increase my enthusiasm for becoming their client, but since they were on campus and had a PhD therapist available on short notice I went for a few sessions ( and had been there already for about 6 sessions earlier that year.) When I went for therapy (shortly before or after I was attacked) there was a male individual standing in the office waiting area - on the way to one of the therapy rooms - who was standing within feet of me, saying 'creepy'. If I remember correctly he had just asked the receptionist if he could stand there, and he resembled one of the individuals who attacked me. So to being this sort of full circle, mental health facilities should not allow individuals, especially if they are not clients, to stand around harassing clients.

I am going to make a guess that even though the CIA, DHS and State Department have various OIG's and Civil Rights Offices, they aren't in the habit of effectively addressing problems like this, and certain DOJ offices, or the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, might be more inclined to attend to this, so I will forward a version of this letter to them. I see that you suggest other resources on ProPublica's submission page so I will follow through on those al
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 10 months ago.

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. I have extensive consumer law experience and will use this to assist you with your issue today. I am so sorry to hear this. The best thing to do is to file a complaint with the appropriate agency, which is located here: http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/doctors/conduct/

LegalGems :

The Board is empowered to do the following if, after a hearing, they determine there was misconduct: "The Board for Professional Medical Conduct has the authority to revoke or suspend a physician's license. The board can also limit a physician's license, issue a censure and reprimand, order education and/or retraining, levy a fine, or require community service. The board cannot direct a physician to reimburse a patient, change a diagnosis or alter an opinion."

LegalGems :

If there was an issue about privacy, there could be an action for violation of privacy rights, but generally economic damages need to be proved in order to get a money judgment.

Customer:

Quite so. What about non-MD therapists?

LegalGems :

Let me look into that. What kind of licensing do they have? Or degree? Or proper title? (any of these should help me pinpoint)

Customer:

ok

Customer:

that's the thing. As far as I can tell, the directors of The Wellness and Counseling Center at CCNY ( http://wellness.ccny.cuny.edu/) have all had PhDs in Psychology.

Customer:

but Alicia Carew, who I met with the most, is at the Student Disability Center, which is a different entity. She told me she had two master's degrees. Maybe Counseling Psychology? MSW?

Customer:

(a different entity within CCNY, which deals with the Wellness center and is a 5 minute walk away)

LegalGems :

OK, then here you go, this is the proper organization for mental health complaints: http://www.mhanys.org/publications/factsheets/fscompliants.htm

Customer:

again ( as I say in the first message) I have emailed them asking about their degrees, and the names of directors who have left, and they aren't responding.

Customer:

ah, thank you.

LegalGems :

The complaint would be accessed here: http://www.op.nysed.gov/opd/complain.htm But you should review the fact sheet I linked a minute ago because they might have some options that apply.

Customer:

sure thing

LegalGems :

Perfect. I hope you are able to resolve this quickly.

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

and if you come across any other useful information, I'll be interested,

LegalGems :

No problem. I will let you know. The complaint process does provide for fines and reimbursement to customers, so that should help.

Customer:

aha. good to know.

LegalGems :

Glad to have helped!

Customer:

ok, I guess that does it for today.

LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience: Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
I wanted to be sure and thank you for using JA/Pearl.

I hope you found the information I provided useful. And I hope the complaint process works well for you, as I am sure this was a horribly frustrating experience.

If you would like to request me for your future legal inquires, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question, and I will do my best!
Take care.

Please be sure and complete the customer satisfaction survey the site will be sending you so that I can continue to provide affordable information to our customers. Thank you!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

You said:
LegalGems :

What is your rationale for being 'the proper organization'? I could have just googled that. It says it advocates for 'the mentally ill'. Why do I want to be part of 'the mentally ill'?

Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.
Hello. You stated they were PhD's in Psychology, and when I first gave you the complaint information for MD's, you asked about non-MD therapists. I gave you the link to the complaint form that is for the mental health professions, since you were concerned with the non-MD therapist. This agency is not confined to advocating only for the mentally ill, per their mission statement (mental health dealas with psychologists, therapists, social workers etc):
Mission Statement
MHANYS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with 30 local MHA affiliates serving 54 of the counties in New York State. MHANYS and its affiliate network work to promote mental health and recovery, encourage empowerment in mental health service recipients, eliminate discrimination, raise public awareness with education, and advocate for equality and opportunity for all.

The first link is for: "To complain about service or treatment by a professional licensed to practice by the State of New York, or about illegal practice of a profession by an unlicensed person, complete the COMPLAINT form above and send it to the Office of Professional Discipline." and here is a list of licensed professionals regulated by this agency: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/

So I was trying to give you resources to cover both physical and mental since it sounds like this clinic has both types of professionals.

Let me know if you have other questions on the above. Thanks!