Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My father brought his car to an auto repair shop and they made

My father brought his car to an auto repair shop and they made repairs that were not authorized. My father since passed away. The auto shop wants the $1500 for the unauthorized repairs. I am the sole beneficiary of my father's estate. If the title is transferred in my name, due to death, are they obligated to release the vehicle to me without paying the $1500?
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: They are. However, I am afraid that they are not going to do it willingly. You may have to sue them and prove that your father did not authorize the work in order to force them to release the vehicle to you. You may also file complaint with your Attorney General's Office:

Consumer Complaint

In addition, you need to contact the Department of Business Regulation, Commercial Licensing Division and file complaint against the shop. This is the division that licenses auto repair shops

Click here for Rhode Island Courts: