Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

she is from we have been on yahoo chat and web cam each

she is from ghana we have been on yahoo chat and web cam each other. she wants to fly out so we can be together she says she needs 1500.00 [one way]to book ticket and needs to show her pass port to them and she says when she book flight she will show me on web cam the booking and the flight ticket [ i should tell her to make it non refundable]she would be flying to Sacramento ,ca
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Thank you for your question. I am not sure what you are asking here, exactly - are you asking if this is a scam?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes is this a scam

Lawrence,

I am afraid that it is. This is a classic romance scam. Ghana is known to be the center of the world for such scams and the US State Department even set out a warning - see here.

The romance is normally established online. I am guessing they found you via a dating website, correct? Normally the scam starts with trying to establish a romantic relationship. The scammer will often claim to have citizenship in US, UK, Germany, Australia, or elsewhere, so you do not suspect ulterior motive. They tell you tales of tragedy and at the same time tell you how involved they are with you and eventually, they will want to come over. That is when the scamming begins. First, they will need money for a visa, which will be hundreds (should not be, but they will demand it). Then they will want a ticket for the airplane. They may tell you that they have money, but it is tied up. Then, they will claim that they need exit tax, or bribe, or "insurance," or "proof of income," or something else. There is no such thing. This is just another method to steal money from you. Then they never arrive and a few days later, a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that she has been detained/arrested by authorities and you need to pay more money.

Consider the fact that most Ghanaian nationals get buy on $5 or less a day. At that,a $1,500 ticket is simply an extraordinary amount of money. Add to this that any document can be easily forged and manipulated. Whatever she is showing you is likely simply printed off using online logos. Finally, she likely would not get a US visa by having a one-way ticket only, as this would get the US Consular agent reviewing her application for a B2 (visitor visa) suspicious.

I am sorry, but you are being scammed.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she says she was born in us and has berth cert and can get visa and this does sound in line wiyh what you say and i have asked her about 419 scam and she was on web cam and said to i look like 419 scam to you and i said i do not know what a 419 scam look like , she say do not listen to them trust me they do not want you to find love.when i asked her i would book flight from us to ghana the travel agency here said yes we can do that and she says you have to send me the money cause i have to book flight here cause she have to show pass port to them before she leaves

Lawrence,

she says she was born in us and has berth cert...

Right - this is exactly the scam that I outlined above:

"The scammer will often claim to have citizenship in US, UK, Germany, Australia, or elsewhere, so you do not suspect ulterior motive."

and can get visa

WHY would she need a visa if she has US Citizenship? She can just fill out an N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, and get a US Passport, because she would be counted as a US Citizen. So this makes no sense.

Of course she is going to deny scamming you. These people are very good at lying to you. But this is a scam. I am sorry, it falls in perfectly with the scam, and, the her claims about being born in the US make no sense about her needing a visa to the USA.

Gentle Reminder: Again, surely you prefer that I be honest in my answer – please remember that rating negatively due to receiving bad news still hurts the expert – it is simply the way that the system is set up. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. (You may always ask follow ups free after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the visa she never brught that for give me here ibrought it up cause i have job lined for her as soon as she would get here and thee SS# XXXXX we can get later so the visa would be quick to get her on the job i have for right away so she agreed to visa but she did say she has berth cert to get SS3 card i have asked her job satus and says she is a nurse and went to school in ghana for six tears and can be a nurse out here but does not work rigth now cause her mom sick

Lawrence,

Okay, thank you.

1) Her claims are false;
2) Why would an American student go to Ghana to study nursing? Ghana barely has clean water, let alone good nursing schools;
3) She would already have an SSN Card if she was a citizen;
4 This just does not add up and I am convinced that she is a scammer.

Of course, the decision is up to you. But I see this at least five times a day and it never end well. The story is almost IDENTICAL to yours ("nursing student" and all). I am sorry.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are going to please answer to my last reply

Friend,

Which last reply did I fail to answer; my apologies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much i have rated you perfect as trust your words more than her in ghana so could you please give me info or a contact number so i can cancell my membership and i will kindly give a tip you have my word ely just tell me how to cancell from my bank card ok thank you cause this all i needed ... i have already give her 1500.00 dollars for her sick mom that i have never seen and she wanted more money for her mom to get her out of hospital and i said tat does not make sense that hospital will not release hr mom unless she pats? but i was taken 150.00 but i am a wealthy man i have plenty and i am grate full for my life and please reply to that and my disconnect ? and as my word to you ely i will then tip you my friend thank you so much you da man go oak raiders

Lawrence, Sure. To cancel/modify any membership with the site, simply go to here and see Customer Support at top-right corner. Yes, her story makes no sense here. The medical bills is just a ruse to get more money... Go Raiders! :-)