Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

6 months ago my husband co-signed a vehicle for his daughter.

6 months ago my husband co-signed a vehicle for his daughter. Before he would do this he told her that she would have to have the payment automatically withdrawn out of her account so that the car payment would not be late. Also that the payment was to be made on or before the due date. That was the only way that he would co-sign. The only payment that was made on time was the first one. To this date she has not set up the automatic withdrawal coming up with a different excuse each month. Also that if we had to make two payments the vehicle would be taken into our possession. Since she has not followed what was agreed on can we go pick up the vehicle?
Previously she had borrowed a lot of money from us (she was involved in a accident and was getting a settlement and promised to pay us back when she got the settlement) When she got the settlement and we asked her for the money she disowned her dad. They did not speak for over a year.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If she is late on the payments and your husband is on the loan and is listed as co-owner or is on the loan as co-signer, then he can go take the vehicle if the payments are not on time and he can refuse to return the vehicle until she sets up payments since he is the one liable for the payments.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.