How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dylatess Your Own Question

Dylatess, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 5119
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I years ago, hooked up with a company to decrease

Customer Question

My husband and I years ago, hooked up with a company to decrease our IRS/State Income Tax debt which had grown out of our reach for payment due to incorrect filing status (my husband had directed his contractor employer to with hold the taxes but they did not, a new job at a much higher paying company with our old withholding rates, etc). We contacted We Help Tax (aka Link & Associates), who claimed to be a bunch of ex-IRS attorneys and in our fear and panic and misunderstanding, set up a payment plan which was supposed to take care of our tax debt for less, plus a bit of a refund from our State. We paid them $500 monthly for 5 years and recently found out that they had just been taking our money and never paid a penny to the state or the IRS. We have recently paid off the State; but now, due to interest and non-payment fees, we owe the IRS more than double what we owed in 2008. It is debilitating, terrifying and I want to get my money back from those guys. I need to know how to move forward, I've tried talking to people, they say it falls under consumer protection law as they fraudulently stole our money for all those years. But then when I try to talk to CPL attorneys about it, they say it Tax fraud. I can't get a straight answer and I would sure like my money back so that I may give it all to the IRS, plus interest and perhaps even the emotional trauma that we were subjected to over all of this. We are currently working on payment arrangements with the IRS (which I now know we should have figured out 5 years ago instead of the "easy way out"; but we were scared and didn't understand how this worked back then, we are much more savvy now.) and will have them paid off in 5-6 years, all while having much less of our income than before. Katy
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.


Thanks for your question. First, it is a consumer matter. And, as part of the many complaints you would allege in your complaint would be both breath of contract AND fraud. But here is the problem. Any attorney that you speak with wants to be paid. And it is will be very difficult to find an attorney to take the case on a contingency. Having said that, you are facing paying several thousand dollars in up front attorney fees with no guarantee of ever seeing a return as this company could file Bankruptcy and wipe out your debt. Therefore, unless you can find an attorney to take the case on a contingency, your best advice is to file a complaint with the federal trade commission ( And if enough people do so, the FTC will pursue criminal charges. But don't assume anything will happen as the FTC works extremely slowly. Sorry. Wish I could give you more positive news. thanks for understanding. Please be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I can get paid for assisting you. I wish you well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband and I both have legal insurance through our work, so it is paid 80/20 by the insurance and we can for sure pay the 20%, so that is not a problem. The Insurance keeps giving us attorneys that would be able to cover this; but they keep saying it is either Tax Fraud or the Consumer Protection. I have already filed a complaint with the FTC, per the request/hint of the IRS. Though I have never heard anything from them, it is good to know they are related to molasses. So, basically, we are out the $26k that we have paid them over all these years. Very sad, that's my annual salary.

Expert:  Dylatess replied 1 year ago.

If you have legal insurance, it may be worth paying the 20% copay. Arguably, if you get a judgment, but still do not collect, with the judgment you can use this against any federal taxes you owe as an offset. And you can use the offset over a ten year period. So if you lost $26000, you can deduct $2600 per year for ten years against your IRS tax bill. And at least this is something.


Thanks for understanding. Please rate my answer ok or better.

Dylatess, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5119
Experience: 36 plus years consumer law practice
Dylatess and 8 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and since the amount we now owe the IRS doubled in the last 5 years could we ask for that back or take that off our taxes?

Expert:  Dylatess replied 1 year ago.
NO, I am sorry you cannot as your dispute it with the company that promised to work something out for you with the IRS. So your only remedy is to pursue the company. but in your suit you would be asking for the money you paid plus the additional money it has cost you in additional taxes and penalties.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sir, thank you for your time and answers, I will speak with my husband and move forward in pursuing it.

Expert:  Dylatess replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions