LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

An authorized dealer for Verizon Wireless added an account

An authorized dealer for Verizon Wireless added an account and made changes without my authorization back in February. I've spoken with them and Verizon dozens of times about fixing the unauthorized changes and getting my money back that I've had to pay for the issue and each email and voice mail states they just need more time to process everything and someone will get right back to me. I have emails stating it is going to get done and to this day nothing has happened and I am sick of calling. I've paid fees and have been paying monthly fees for their mistake. Thoughts?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. I have extensive consumer law experience and will use this to assist you with your issue today. One moment as I review the remainder of your question.

LegalGems :

I'm glad to hear you have confirmation emails. Can I get the amount involved, approximately?

Customer:

Hello. Let me calculate really quickly....

Customer:

Approximately $550-600

Customer:

which is $50 a month I've been paying for the additional line that was added, taxes for that line and fees associated with the line. Also, there are upgrade fees that were charged when the dealer allowed an authorized upgrade for another person on my account.

LegalGems :

OK. So there are a few options. The first is to send them a formal demand letter stating you will initiate a small claims proceeding if they don't issue a refund by X date (generally 10 days). Any copies of emails acknowledging their intent to refund should be attached. If they don't respond favorably, then you would need to file in small claims. Another option is to file a complaint with either (or both) the FCC and the attorney general. They will then notify the carrier of the complaint. Generally elevating it to this level results in action from the carrier, as if there are enough complaints they can be shut down. It is considered fraud to allow a charge that is not authorized by the consumer, so I would expect the carrier to respond quickly once they realize that you will no longer wait for an undetermined amount of time.

LegalGems :

Here's the link to the FCC complaint that applies to these types of situations: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Customer:

Do I need to do anything special with the demand letter or just make sure it is formal?

LegalGems :

You basically want it to state your position along with a proposed remedy (ie pay me by __ date). And sent certified mail, return receipt requested. I can get you a copy of a demand letter but it is for defective services/products, but you can use it as a model. Just a moment please.

Customer:

That would be great. Thank you.

LegalGems :

You are welcome!

Customer:

Thank you so much!

LegalGems :

Glad to have helped. Hope the letter is sufficient and you don't have to escalate it. Take care!

Customer:

Thanks again. Take Care

LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience: Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to be sure and thank you for using JA/Pearl.

I hope you found the information I provided useful. Dealing with cell carriers and cable companies can require a great deal of patience unfortunately!

If you would like to request me for your future legal inquires, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question, and I will do my best!
Take care.

Please be sure and complete the customer satisfaction survey the site will be sending you so that I can continue to provide affordable information to our customers. Thank you!