Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I need advise on selling an automobile in New York.I had

I need advise on selling an automobile in New York.

I had listed a 1999 chevy surburban with 209,000 miles on it, for sale on EBAY a few weeks ago. I disclosed that the vehicle had a lien listed on the title, and that the release from the bank had been lost and could not be reproduced. I also stated in the add that there was NO WARRANTY. I also listed all the work that had been done to the vehicle during my possession of a little more than a year.

Someone from New York City got interested and I initiated contact and had him call me by phone and we started talking about it and we verbally agreed to a price of 1500.00 cash, sight unseen, and I ended the EBAY add, he deposited 100.00 into my paypal account, and we made plans to meet a few days later to make the rest of deal.

When we met, he drove the vehicle, asked tons of questions, picked the vehicle apart, saw that there was an ABS brake warning light on, asked about it and I told him that I got it that way, and there was something wrong with the system, but that I had been driving it that way for a year because I was told was safe because the system had been disabled by pulling out the fuse. He also didn't like that there were some scratches, not dents! on the drivers side doors that were not visible in the pictures that he viewed on EBAY. He talked me down to 1350.00 cash, asked if there was anything else wrong with the car that I knew of and I answered honestly no, as I have put 15,000 miles on it in the year I have had it, and t he reason I was selling it was that I needed a bigger truck for work.

He calls me the next day, and says that his mechanic has fixed a problem with the steering column which in turn had damaged the transmission and wants me to share in part of the expense. I have had the vehicle for over a year and driven it just fine and accepted the way it drove and never thought there was a problem other than the fact that it had 209,000 miles on it and was not going to drive like a new vehicle. This is after he signed a bill of sale, stating his name, address, and nys drivers licence #, mileage of the vehicle, date and time of transfer, agreed amount of 1350.00, and that he was accepting the vehicle AS IS.

What are my LEGAL Rights ?

Lloyd xxxx

Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

You have no legal responsibility to share in the repair of anything after a vehicle is sold as-is. That why it is called "as-is"

He had an opportunity to examine the vehicle, test drive it and continue his negotiation. If he did not want to accept it as-is he could have negotiated a warranty or walked away.

Courts are, generally, loathe to interfere in an as is car sale unless there is proof of fraud. Even then, it would have to be something that the buyer could not have discovered by their own exam or by taking it to their own mechanic.

The transaction is over and any maintenance is the responsibility of the new owner.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Be sure to verify the information I have provided with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. 

Thank you.

Loren, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years experience in general legal matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much, very helpful info.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I am happy to have been of service to you and hope you found that service no less than excellent.

Thank you.

If you have not already do so, please remember to leave a favorable rating so that I am paid for assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-Loren/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will do Loren,

Thanks Again.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Much appreciated.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX