CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

One of my employees was robbed yesterday. The stole her passport

One of my employees was robbed yesterday. The stole her passport as well as her drivers license that was issue in the state of Pennsylvania. She lives in Maryland, and was about to go to the MVA so that she can have a license transferred from Pennsylvania to Maryland.
Unfortunately, she doesn't have any other IDs to make this happen. Where should she began and how can she protect herself from identity theft?
Last but not least also in her purse was a receipt that she just paid off a ticket in order to clear up any miscellaneous debt to pave the way for Maryland license.
She paid for the ticket in traffic court part cash and part credit card. Is there a way that she can obtain another receipt? Thank you so very much for your anticipated answers

William B. Esq. :

Thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

I am very sorry to learn of this incident, and I hope that your employee is okay.

William B. Esq. :

To obtain the new license without any other form of identification, she will need to return to her current state (Maryland) and receive a new ID card or driver's license in that state and then transfer it to her new state Pennsylvania. There unfortunately is no easy or efficient way to avoid this problem given the circumstance.

William B. Esq. :

To deal with the identity theft, she needs to quickly report this to any banks or credit card companies that she has (even if the cards or information were not stolen). She should also report the theft to each of the three major credit reporting agencies. (You can find this information, as well as other information that can be helpful in this situation in this article here: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/identity-theft-stolen-checklist-29691.html).

William B. Esq. :

Finally, regarding the ticket payment, she can go to the department where the ticket was paid and ask for a duplicate receipt. There is no guarantee they will be able to provide one for her, but most agencies will. (The partial payment by credit card will at least give her some leverage in finding the receipt kept by the agency upon payment in the unlikely event it becomes an issue).

William B. Esq. :

I do hope that your employee is able to recover quickly from this traumatic event. I do wish there was a more efficient way to deal with these problems. I hope that a police report has been filed, and that law enforcement is able to assist in this matter.

William B. Esq. :

I hope the above is helpful, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know and I will follow up quickly.

Thank you for using our service, please do not forget to rate my answer when you are satisfied. I am going to transfer our conversation to the "Q&A" format to ensure you can review the entire response and that I can follow up to any questions you may have quickly. I do wish you the best of luck in this matter.

Customer:

Is it possible for her to obtain a new passport?

Customer:

If so, how can she get one?

William B. Esq. :

Here is the proper procedure for replacing (and reporting) a lost passport:http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/lost_848.html