How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 24406
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im being sued in a credit card case in LA. I responded and

Resolved Question:

Im being sued in a credit card case in LA. I responded and requested Production of records in Oct 2012..11 MONTHS AGO and one week ago rec'd their 'vague' response from the attorney. (only sent 4 billing statements and an affidavit from "some person". The question? it was not dated or filed at the court (only signed by an attorney). What the ???? Should I file a motion for summary judgment
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Responses to discovery requests are not filed with the court. The time for a party to present their evidence to the judge is at trial. However, if they provided you all the evidence they had, and it does not establish that you owe the debt, then you would have a basis for filing a Motion for Summary Judgment.

Summary judgment is allowed when there are no disputed facts at issue in the case. If they do have some evidence that you owe the debt, and you're disputing that, then it's up to the judge to decide who is telling the truth. The judge isn't allowed to weigh evidence on a summary judgment motion.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They have not provided a Purchase agreement showing they own the debt, no signed contract agreement..just a few billing statements with my name and the balance owed. I never signed for this credit card. Although I asked them to show me date nothing. Im ready to make this go away. I suspect my best move is a summary judgment motion?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the brief delay. The system requires us to answer questions in the order they are received, so it can sometimes take a few minutes to respond to follow-up questions.

If the Request for Production of Documents asked for those things and they did not produce them, then you could move for summary judgment based on the fact that the evidence they provided does not establish that you owe the debt. They may try to attach more evidence to their Opposition. But if they do that, you can move to strike, based on the fact that they did not produce them when you asked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for my 'impatience' That's great advice. I appreciate you. In "MOVING TO STRIKE" is there a particular motion i'd have to file with the court?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
There isn't a specific form available online. This sample has the basic format, but it's not aimed at discovery violations.

The argument would be, essentially, that a party has an obligation to produce documents responsive to discovery requests , and to supplement with information that becomes available later. By not doing that, they violated the Rules of Discovery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago. some of their responses to my request to produce records, the lawyer's answers state something to the effect of "burdensome" and "Plaintiff does not have this record in their possession but may submit later". Is it possible for them to produce these records AFTER i file a motion for summary judgment? I want to be sure when i file my MSJ that this junk debt buyer's attorney won't produce any 'surprise' records?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If they refused to provide records on the ground that they are burdensome, usually the next step is for the party to file a Motion to Compel. The judge can determine on his own whether it's burdensome for them to produce what was requested. Then, if they refuse to produce the records, the judge can prohibit them from using those records against you.

Most likely, if you file a Motion for Summary Judgment, they'll attach any evidence they have in response. So, one way to avoid that surprise is to move to compel the documents before seeking summary judgment.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 24406
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions