Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

Why does a nicotine purchase require a photo i.d. and the same

Why does a nicotine purchase require a photo i.d. and the same is not required for a caffeine purchase?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Products with nicotine are regulated by state and/or federal law as to the age which can buy them, just as are products containing alcohol, whereas products with caffeine are not.

Dwayne B. :

The website is showing you are offline so I will exit so I can assist other customers. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have in this thread. However, please do not issue a rating until our interaction is complete and all of your questions have been answered.

Customer:

I understand that nicotine is regulated by state and/or federal law as to the age. etc. . I guess I should have asked: Can you tell me why caffeine products are not regulated ( in the same respect) by the law?

Dwayne B. :

The government just has not seen fit to regulate caffeine yet. My suspicion would be because too many products contain it naturally and it would interfere with the sales of these products.

Dwayne B. :

And those businesses donate a lot of money to politicians.

Customer:

If the government is going trying to control the sale of guns, apparently they aren't making any money off of the sale of guns, at least not the sale in the US.

Dwayne B. :

Actually any time the issue of gun control starts being kicked around the sale of guns and ammo increases dramatically.

Dwayne B. :

And there are no gun control laws being proposed at this time which will actually have any significant effect on the amount of sales.

Customer:

In reply to your first statement concerning gun and ammo sales; I know that is true in the South. In regard to the second statement concerning gun sales; I think the sales may have skyrocketed in the South due to the bare mention of gun control... at least in my neck of the woods. Back to the original subject. I'm buying my nicotine liquid for e-cigarettes from the U.K. where I don't have to show a photo i.d.. Occasionally I have to by it from a convenience store in the US when I am waiting with bated breath so to speak for my e-liquid from the U.K which is warehoused and distributed in the US. I have to show a photo id for the liquid from the convenience store and the battery/ atomizer which contains no nicotine.

Dwayne B. :

I don't think it is a federal law yet, although the FDA is considering what to do with the e-cigarettes now. I wasn't aware GA had a law in pace about them. I knew CA and NY did and some other states.

Dwayne B. :

I didn't think the atomizers required ID yet, that could be a local ordinance or just that store's rules.

Customer:

I'm sorry. I keep hitting enter and it ends my statement before I have finished and it's late and I am misspelling words.

Dwayne B. :

No problem

Dwayne B. :

Did you have additional questions?

Dwayne B. :

I think the Chat function may be having problems. I am going to have to switch this to a regular Q and A session.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I had a reply. So I guess I'm not quite finished yet because I had written a paragraph and was interrupted for the third time today while writing so it probably didn't get to you. Now I have a question. Is there a time limit on how long the experts can wait for a reply before ending the conversation? I do however understand that other people are waiting for an answer. I can't wait for a reply to this question tonight. I'm going to bed. Maybe we can continue in the am...thanks for your help. I will rate you soon. So far, so good. Dang, I knew I should have been a lawyer. My daddy always said I could argue with a fence post. He just never said I'd win...

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
No, the question times out and closes after a day or so but once you issue your Positive Rating it stays open. I'll look for you tomorrow.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.