Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in Tennessee. I went in to a car dealership and test

I live in Tennessee. I went in to a car dealership and test drove a new car. I explained to the salesman that I couldn't afford the payments but ended up signing paperwork after being harassed. I did not give them any money and left the car at the dealership but because I took the car to a gas station nearby after I signed the papers they claim I legally own the car even though I don't have the car in my possession. I am being harassed by a sales manager who is calling several times a day. Do I legally own the car even though I don't have the car and never gave them any money? Kim
Hello Kim: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Could you explain a little more?

Is downpayment required?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the form that I signed said that I would put $4500 down but I never gave them any money and they never gave me any of the papers that I signed also I never took out any insurance on the vehicle

Thank you for the information:

Your initial post:

Response: No, you do not. The Sales Manager is trying to intimidate you into buying the car. If the sale is contingent upon you putting money down and you did not, you did not obtain insurance coverage for the car, nor were you given the paper work that you signed probably because you have not put any payment down, you could not have taken possession of the vehicle. Without your downpayment, they cannot send your paper work over to the lender that they use for financing. So, just ignore the Sales Manager, who is trying desperately to make a sale and his commission.