Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am hoping you can help me get some answers. My daughter

I am hoping you can help me get some answers.
My daughter purchased two tickets (using her “Sweet 16” birthday money) for the “Sony Pictures’ One Direction: This is Us Red Carpet Premiere & After Party" that took place in NYC on Monday, August 26th, 2013. The tickets were purchased thru TicketFly for $500.00 each. Office Depot partnered with Sony Pictures and was the contact throughout the process. I have copied my complaint email below which I sent to Casey Ahlbum at Office Depot.

Email sent Tuesday, August 27, 2013 (the day after the event)
“Good afternoon Casey,

I would like to submit a complaint about the way the One Direction event was advertised opposed to what actually happen with regard to the “Red Carpet”.

1. The tickets were billed as “Sony Pictures’ One Direction: This is Us Red Carpet Premiere & After Party"

2. On the FAQs document that we received it says “Will parents be able to see their kids walk the red carpet?” to which the answer was “Only guests with tickets will be admitted to the red carpet, theater, and to the after party.”

3. It also states on the FAQs document “Can I bring my phone/camera to the event to take pictures on the red carpet?” to which the answer was “You may take pictures on the red carpet however, NO recording devices of any kind (including cameras, phones, video cameras, etc.) will not be permitted in the theater.”

Those three items alone would lead ANYONE to believe that if you had a ticket you were going to walk the red carpet. Not only did we not get to walk the red carpet we couldn't’t even see the carpet or anyone on it. The Will Call line (for ticket holders only) was on the side of the red carpet but was totally blocked off by black draping to where you couldn't see ANYTHING. This was a MAJOR let down for us – as you know the tickets were not cheap and to lead us on to think that we are going to walk the red carpet, get our hopes up, dress accordingly, etc. and then to not even get a glimpse of it was really not right.

I would like an explanation as to how the above items could be stated and then NOTHING remotely close to that happened.

Thank you,
Doreen Murray"

After three weeks of sending multiple emails with only one response saying there will be a formal response from Office Depot shortly - I got the following email from them today (September 12, 2013):

“Dear Doreen:

I'm writing on behalf of Office Depot to thank you for your feedback regarding the premiere of One Direction: This is Us. Your presence at the event and your support of our anti-bullying education program are truly appreciated.
This evening was extremely important to the Office Depot Foundation, as Harry, Liam, Niall, Louis, and Zayn presented a $1 million check to the Foundation's president. These critical funds will allow the anti-bullying education program to reach over a million students, parents, and teachers during the upcoming school year. Thank you for contributing to this important cause.

As a sponsor of the festivities, Office Depot worked with the event organizer to help create what we thought was an unforgettable evening that would truly delight you and we are sorry to learn that some parts of the event fell short of what you expected. We did not intend for anyone to be disappointed and hope you still feel that it was special to be part of the limited audience who got to see the boys premiere the film for U.S. audiences at the historic Ziegfeld theater. We hope you'll also agree that the after party was a terrific gathering at an amazing venue (Gotham Hall), with great food, music, and ambiance.

We ask for your understanding that since the tickets were sold in support of a charitable cause, we are not in a position to provide refunds. A tax deduction letter and a copy of the Office Depot Foundation's Form W-9 are attached for your records. We are also sending you a $50 Office Depot e-gift card as a thank you for your support of the Office Depot Foundation's anti-bullying efforts. Your e-gift card will arrive as a separate email within 24-48 hours.

As you know, security for the band was extremely important that evening. For comments related to interactions with security personnel please reach out to Sony Pictures Entertainment, the event organizer, at their customer service number (XXX) XXX-XXXX.
Please know that Office Depot has shared your feedback with all of the parties who were involved in planning and sponsoring the event and we appreciate that you took the time to let us know how you feel.
Sincerely, XXXXX
Sr. Manager - Consumer Relations,
Loyalty & E-Commerce Support
Office Depot, Inc.
6600 N. MilitaryTrail | C313A
Boca Raton, FL | 33496”

I feel that this is an acceptable answer to my complaint and I would like your thoughts.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

I just want to make sure that this is what you meant to state:

"I feel that this is an acceptable answer to my complaint and I would like your thoughts. "
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GOOD CATCH

sorry..I meant to write...UNACCEPTABLE

Thank you for the clarification.

There was clearly false promotion of the program. The offer of $50.00 e-gift card to settle the matter is wholly inadequate. Office Depot should do more than that. Since you never got to see anything as indicated, the full cost of one of the tickets should be refunded through e-gift card. If Office Depot ignore your request or refuses your offer, you may file complaint with your Attorney's General's Office:

Complaint Form

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you... can you please advise how to go about contacting an attorney general's office?

Response:
You file Complaint with the Consumer Affairs Division. I provided you a link to the complaint form previously. Here is the complaint form once more:

Complaint Form