Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I am considering buying 4 mobile homes that are already set

I am considering buying 4 mobile homes that are already set up in a mobile home park to use as rental property. When I buy them do I have to pay sales tax on the purchase price if they are going to be left there?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Even if they are going to be left in place, they have titles and the titles have to be transferred and as such sales tax must be paid on the purchase. If you are making such a purchase, it is suggested to protect yourself from personal liability as a landlord that you make the purchase under a Limited Liability Company or a Corporation which you should form before making the purchase (a LLC or corporation owner is not personally liable for any legal damages from actions against the LLC or corporation).

The only way you would not pay sales tax on the purchase would be if they were already in a company (LLC or corporation) and you were buying the company itself with its assets, because then the home titles would all remain in the name of the existing company and only ownership of the company transfers and is filed with the Secretary of State.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.