Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I have been billed by Sallie Mae for my sons school bill .

I have been billed by Sallie Mae for my sons school bill . They say that I co-signed for the loan . I've paid some of it because they threatened be that they would take legal action against my son . I didn't want him to go to jail , so I paid . I now know that there isn't a deters prison . I did not sign for any loan for his schooling .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Is there a specific question I could assist you with?

Customer:

Yes. How can I get them to stop billing me . I did not co-sign for the loan that they say I did . I say that I did this through the internet . I never did . I asked them to provide me with a copy of what I signed . They could not provide one , just a paper with numbers on it .

JD 1992 :

There is only one way to absolutely force them to stop calling and that is to sue them in federal court.

JD 1992 :

However, there are some "back doors" that you can try first but there is no guarantee they will work. Do you want me to explain them?

Customer:

How do I do that and at what cost will it be. Being I don't have the money in the first place .

JD 1992 :

Suing them will cost you so I'll go ahead and explain the less expensive and free options.

Customer:

Yes tell me about the back doors please .

JD 1992 :

You can hire a lawyer to write a letter to them, explaining that you don't owe the money and ordering them not to contact you unless they first provide proof to the lawyer that you do owe the money. This is called a "cease and desist" letter and most lawyers don't charge much, if anything, to do this.

JD 1992 :

The other step is to contact the office of your US Representative and ask their staff for help.

JD 1992 :

The staff is almost always very willing to help and get results.

JD 1992 :

They actually can't force SALLIE MAE to do anything but it works a lot of the time.

JD 1992 :

You can also drop by their office and ask for help, again ask for a member of the staff and not the Congressman themselves. This is a trick that I used to use a lot when I couldn't get some governmental organization to respond short of filing a lawsuit.

JD 1992 :

If neither of those work then a lawsuit is all you can do.

Customer:

Thanks a lot . At least I now have A starting point.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome. This usually takes a little while and you should probably do both.

Customer:

Okay , I will . This Sallie Mae is just out of hand .

JD 1992 :

They are. They are absolutely ridiculous.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.