Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

Hello I live in SC anspd recently began to purchase a house.

Hello I live in SC anspd recently began to purchase a house. The lender that I am using emailed my personal salary information that was previously filled out by my HR dept (VOE Letter) to my co-worker. Is there any legal action that I can take. They offered an apology, removed my file from the processor to a more senior person and removed the admin fees that they charge. Can I file a lawsuit or is it better to continue since my house is due to close soon and I would have to find another Lender in such a short period. I am due to close on my home around Oct. 20, 2013.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
What information did they email?
.
Did they email your SSN or other personal information like date of birth?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The form only has my name and Present and past year earnings. It does not have my social or date of birth on it. I just feel that it violated my privacy as to how much I am paid within my workplace. This could significantly impact if they feel that I am getting paid much more than they are.
Ok, thank you for the additional information. In a workplace situation, there is only certain information that an employer has a duty to keep confidential. This includes SSN, Date of Birth and personal medical information. There is no duty to keep compensation information confidential.
.
So if an employer wanted to, they could publish what everyone was making on a sheet and post it in the break room... Most wouldn't so as to preserve workplace harmony, but they could.
.
Since there is no law that has been violated, there would be no cause of action for you to legally pursue. Even if there was a cause of action, you would have to prove actual monetary damages in order to be awarded anything.
.
With that said, I would accept their apology and their waiving the fees and move forward on closing on your new house..
.
.
Thanks