Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

car was "jerking / making a bumping sound". engine check light

car was "jerking / making a bumping sound". engine check light came on, indicating a transmission problem. took car to AAMCO (transmission specialist). they diagnosed a solenoid issue. they kept car for a week / did repairs that cost me $624. in less than a month, the identical symptoms started AGAIN. i returned to AAMCO. they stated i need my transmission rebuilt. they kept car another week / rebuilt transmission; at a cost to me of $2470. in approx. 2 weeks, the identical symptoms started AGAIN. i returned car, they kept for a week / did repairs, (warranty-no cost to me). i picked up car, and at approx. 1/2 mile from their shop. . . the identical symptoms started again! i turned around and immediately returned to their shop. they decided to take my car to a dealership, kept car for a week. they indicated the dealership diagnosed and replaced a defected computer cable/connection. QUESTION: as it turns out, AAMCO's diagnosis(s) were incorrect, UNNECESSARY, and did not resolve the (repeat/identical) problems. the root cause was determined and repaired by the dealership. . . which in fact, turned out to be just a simple computer cable. i'm out $3094. for incorrect repairs/charges. i had to rent a car for two separate weeks, at a cost of $354. i had to catch a taxi to their shop on six separate trips (due to the repeated problems / repairs), at a cost of $14 per trip, totaling $84. total= $3532. do i have a legitimate claim to recoup my cost? best regards, XXXXX XXXXX you in advance. Charles D. Boddie
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

INFOLAWYER :

INFOLAWYER :

You have a valid claim to recoup costs

INFOLAWYER :

Basis for doing so is theory of breach of contract and unjust enrichment

INFOLAWYER :

You want to document the visits, the repeat problems and the actual costs incurred

INFOLAWYER :

then submit by written demand with backup records for payment.

INFOLAWYER :

I wish you the best.

INFOLAWYER :

Are you satisfied with the answer?

INFOLAWYER :

if I can clarify anything, please ask me

Customer:

when you say "submit by written demand". . . do you mean to the shop or to the courts?

INFOLAWYER :

The shop first

INFOLAWYER :

court, only if goes to litigation

INFOLAWYER :

and notice to shop would be a record

INFOLAWYER :

Is that clear?

Customer:

i understand. question: should i engage an attorney to help me draft and document this written demand. . . considering my skills may be some what lacking in this area. i would think that the written demand should be in some what of a formal nature?

INFOLAWYER :

Given amount involved, I would write it and have a lawyer edit so your costs are kept low

INFOLAWYER :

You dont want to spend more than $500 overall

INFOLAWYER :

given amount involved

INFOLAWYER :

I wish you the best.

Customer:

thank you.

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

INFOLAWYER :

have a nice weekend

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click on an excellent rating

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.