Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My fiance and I decided to plan our dream wedding at a shore

My fiance and I decided to plan our dream wedding at a shore point in new jersey. We contacted a realtor and explained to them we wanted to rent a property that would be large enough to entertain a specefic number of guests. The realtor found us a vacation home for the week we were looking for, we did a tour through the house and met the owners in person to discuss the details and confirm everything we had planned would be acceptable by both the owner and realtor. Having heard our intentions the owner was not only accepting but also excited that we were planning such a great day in one of their properties. Realtor drew up the lease we signed, paid the security deposit which they cashed and began the rest of our planning. With only 3 weeks left until the big day the owner suddenly gets cold feet and begins making added requests for us too stay at the house. We agreed to the rental of the porta potty, we even purchased an event liability insurance to protect their home from personal injury. Having met any additional requests mainly because of our desperate situation they still decided to refund our full payment. My fiance is crushed as she even made post cards as invitations with pictures of the house on it. We have deposits orfull payments into a caterer, dj, chair rental company, chaplin, guests have rented hotel rooms and purchased plane tickets but because the landlord has decided to back out we have no venue. We contacted the township ahead time and followed all rules for beach weddings, were conscience of noise ordinaces etc...do we have an ability to recoup some or all if the money paid to vendors and im not a big fan of pain and sufferinf lawsuits but after seeing my fiance I have changed my tune on that as well.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Your Question:

Response: Yes, you do. You should tabulate your damages. Then make formal written demand for payment of the damages to the owner detailing your expenses and consequences of the owner pulling out of the contract. That the owner should know or should have know that a wedding takes a lot of planning and she agreed to rent the property to you and that she should not have backed out of the deal since you have already made plans with that location in mind. That her backing out has caused lot of stress on you and your fiancé.

I am confident that if this goes to Court that the Court would rule in your favor considering the circumstances in the case.

If the owner ignores your request for compensation, you can file lawsuit against the owner to recover your expenses including the insurance you bought for personal injury on the property. For Court forms and instructions, click on the link below:

New Jersey Courts--Self- help Center

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The damages for actual vendors etc... can be reduced if we are able to find a last minute venue that has the features of the original house. The real complication is finding that property which requires travel and lost time at work. When requesting compensation for the nightmare this has created what guidelines should I use to determine that value when submitting my request?

Response: You should use the actual cost of the expenses. For instance, if you are changing hotels and the hotels charge you for the changes, you would include those charges in your damages. If you manage to get another rental at this late date and the place charges twice than the previous house, then the excess charge should be on your list of damages.

It is prudent to get receipts for all your expenses for this inconvenience, if you can to back up your request to the owner to compensate you.

.