Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

A lawyer firm told me their client(## XXXXX Co.) would enter

A lawyer firm told me their client(## XXXXX Co.) would enter into a repayment with me., they sent all this paperwork which included papers that say they can sue me if I stop paying. Now six months later, I've been paying on time for six months and thought my paying would reflect positively on my credit report; but today I found the (## XXXXX Co.) actually charged off the balance the law firm kept sending paperwork and through mail that the motor company IS their client and that the last six payments made toward this account isn't being reflected/reported. Misrepresentation and hustled. If the lawyer firm refuse to or unable to remove the ( motor Co.) charge off, since they suppose to be their client, then I shouldn't have to pay the law firm. If in fact they can't remove the charge off and show payments made. They lied, having me believe my account was still open but delinquent when in fact this account is closed. Can they sue me cause they got me to sign those court papers, but they not the motor companys' representative, they bought the charge off. HELP.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, any charged off debt can be bough by another company or party and this party would have the same right to pursue collection of the debt.

So basically, if you were sued by this law firm and signed a settlement agreement which states that you agreed to make monthly payments and if you fail the law firm will obtain a judgment against you for the full amount of the debt plus any extra costs and fees, then if you do fail to make timely payments, the law firm will indeed be able to obtain a judgment against you if you fail to make payments on this debt as agreed in the settlement agreement.

Unfortunately, while the law firm will have to report this debt as paid, once you pay off the entire balance, they do not have to report your monthly payments, unless specifically stated so in your settlement agreement with the law firm.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping for, but please understand that I do have to provide customers with correct answers, even when the answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ahhh, so you saying that (## XXXXX Co.) automatically became their client cause they bought the debt balance from them and so I owe them not the motor CO.? I don't know why anyone would buy other's debt and then pretend to be their advocate and get people to pay them for what they decided to buy. You buy, you own. But I don't owe you. I never had an agreement to pay you. So, can I buy people debt and make them pay me then. That's how this loop in the law work? OK. Thank you for your time to answer my question. I just wanted to pay my original creditor and get credit for getting it done, so as to not disrupt my buying power in the future. I'll contact my 3rd party to see if in fact the agreement say they got to report my monthly on time payments.

Dear XXXXXmy,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, a debt can be bought and sold from party to party and it is done all the time and most credit card agreements, mortgage agreements, auto loan and other loan agreements do have a clause that allows for the creditor to transfer, assign or sell debt accounts to any third party, without any further consent from the debtor, but most people never read or review an entire financing agreement to even notice this clause.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required