Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

Can banks be charged with abuse of power in trying to collect

Can banks be charged with abuse of power in trying to collect on a judgment ?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Abuse of power is really a charge that is brought against government officials of one kind or another.

JD 1992 :

If you are trying to pay them the full amount then you might have a cause of action for harassment or the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act.

Customer:

Is there anything illegal about what they are doing

JD 1992 :

However, those wouldn't apply if you are trying to get them to settle for something less than the full amount they are owed.

JD 1992 :

No, not unless you are trying to pay them in full.

JD 1992 :

Unless the actions themselves are somehow illegal.

JD 1992 :

If they were, for instance, continually garnishing a bank account that they were aware contained only social security funds (which they can't garnish) then you could file for sanctions.

JD 1992 :

But if they are just extremely aggressive and using legal means then there isn't anything that can be done.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.