Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I purchased an engine from a salvage yard with a 90 day warranty

I purchased an engine from a salvage yard with a 90 day warranty (on an exchange basis) at a cost of $4000. I brought it home and my mechanic installed it on the car. The car worked for about a week and a half and then the engine seized up. I have contacted the salvage yard and they have stated that it is my mechanics fault. The Salvage yard is asking that I take the engine back to them to asses it. I have offered to take it any reputable independent mechanic(s) of their choosing in my area since I live about 200 miles away, but they are adamant about me taking the engine back to them. My question is how am I to trust them that they will make a truthful and honest evaluation of the state my engine is in since it is in their best interest to find me at fault. Should I comply with their request or go to other various independent mechanics and just fight this through the legal channels?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for the question.

INFOLAWYER :

You have a right to pursue the matter in court and with the BBB

INFOLAWYER :

however, that process can take months and prove expensive

INFOLAWYER :

if they will listen to an independent expert

INFOLAWYER :

I would suggest agreeing to it

INFOLAWYER :

which will support your position and may lead to a resolution quickly

INFOLAWYER :

you could always pursue court and the BBB after if they still wont cover your loss

INFOLAWYER :

They should cover the cost of the independent expert

INFOLAWYER :

so you dont incur further loss

Customer:

Should I take it to an independent shop and then take it to them.

INFOLAWYER :

Yes

INFOLAWYER :

so you have solid support

INFOLAWYER :

for your position

INFOLAWYER :

which should make it more likely they agree with you and cover it

INFOLAWYER :

you also thereby create a record and proof for court should it go that far

Customer:

Would the record include letters from my mechanic's satisfied previous customers ?

INFOLAWYER :

that is not necessary

INFOLAWYER :

unless his credentials are questioned

INFOLAWYER :

if he has a good rating, a resume, etc that helps

INFOLAWYER :

his track record and years of experience would be relevant

Customer:

Is the independent mechanic allowed to open up the engine and inspect it, or just visually inspect the external movements and fluid levels of the engine?

INFOLAWYER :

can do both

INFOLAWYER :

carefully

INFOLAWYER :

I wish you best of luck

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click on an excellent rating for the answer.

INFOLAWYER :

are you there?

Customer:

yes

INFOLAWYER :

if I can clarify anything else, of course, ask me

INFOLAWYER :

otherwise, kindly rate the answer positively

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.