Dylatess
Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice
29685164

We bought a used car from a small dealer on Friday, my husband

We bought a used car from a small dealer on Friday, my husband test drove it and my son test drove it. We got a loan to buy it. Today having it just 4 days the check engine light came on, having it inspected we have been told it has multiple problems that are not small and the check engine light was tampered with. What right do we have?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

If you can have the check stopped, that would be great. Then the dealer would want to make things rights so that they get paid. But if the check has cleared, and you do not have a warranty, the burden is on the buyer to have had the car checked out before buying it. the only legal claim you would have is if you can prove that the engine light was tampered with, If so, with a report from a mechanic who says in writing that it was altered, you would then be able to sue for your money back. Otherwise, the law of buyer beware applies. I hope this helps and really hope the check did not clear. I wish you well. Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.