Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

My mother lives in Vancouver WA and the contractor is demanding

My mother lives in Vancouver WA and the contractor is demanding payment in full but has damaged the skylights and the top of the roof line. The sec is threatening to file a lien if I dont pay. The work is not completed so how culd I be obligated to pay? How do I stop the lien, file a complaint or do something to get the contractor to work fairly with me?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

What type of work is the contractor doing?

Customer:

He added a new roof

Customer:

this is not a new build

JD 1992 :

You really can't prevent them from filing a lien other than by paying them or suing them.

JD 1992 :

However, the lien obviously wouldn't be appropriate since they haven't finished the job.

Customer:

Its my mothers house...Should I just hire an attorney?

JD 1992 :

It would probably save you A LOT of time and effort.

Customer:

would i file for a hearing since they havent completed

JD 1992 :

You can file a complaint through the licensing agency at http://www.lni.wa.gov/tradeslicensing/contractors/

JD 1992 :

It is likely your attorney woudl try and get the case resolved, and would be able to, if you hire them.

JD 1992 :

The contractor doesn't want to have a complaint filed and doesn't want to be sued.

Customer:

okay. cool. If he damaged the sky lights and is aware of that wouldnt he only be intitled once the repairs are made

Customer:

how much can he be sued for?

JD 1992 :

He is entitled to be paid once the job is complete.

JD 1992 :

He could be sued for whatever it costs to make the repairs as well as your attorney's fees.

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

makes sense.

Customer:

does this happen alot

Customer:

/

JD 1992 :

Yes, too often.

Customer:

seems unreasonable on their part

Customer:

they said they were not sure when they will get around to fixing it

JD 1992 :

Particularly when it comes to roofing.

JD 1992 :

She doesn't have to wait. She can hire someone else to repair it and then sue them for the costs.

Customer:

Thats good advise. OK. Thank you for the guidance

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome. Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

how do you find a highly rated attorney in WA? Any sites?

Customer:

arent there sites like that where they are rated by peers

JD 1992 :

No, not really. You can go to www.lawyers.com and find one pretty easily. You can also go to www.martindale.com. That second one has a rating system but it isn;t really rating the lawyer on how good they are, it is based on something else but I don't know what.

Customer:

Okay. thank you!

JD 1992 :

Lawyers.com is where I always go if I need to find a lawyer in an area where I don;t know anyone.

JD 1992 :

You're welcome. I'll exit now to assist others.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you and your mother. Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) so I get credit for my work. The experts only get credit from the website when you issue a Positive Rating.