How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 16578
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

having my wages garnished for a student loan and now a tax

This answer was rated:

having my wages garnished for a student loan and now a tax offset is in place need to know how I go about challenging this or at least getting it reduced also I have two loan amts. the bill from the collection agency has one amt and the one from the sallie mae says another amt
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Are this private or federal student loan debt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

federal thru sallie mae


Dear Tonisha,

Unfortunately, if you are delinquent on federal student loan debt, the US Department of Education will be able to garnish your wages and seize your assets without a court judgment and simply based on administrative order.

You would have to contact Department of Education and contest any discrepancies in the loan amounts with them and in order to stop the garnishments, you would have to rehabilitate this delinquent loans by making full payments for 9 months and then your loans will be reinstated in good status.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions