Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

having my wages garnished for a student loan and now a tax

having my wages garnished for a student loan and now a tax offset is in place need to know how I go about challenging this or at least getting it reduced also I have two loan amts. the bill from the collection agency has one amt and the one from the sallie mae says another amt
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Are this private or federal student loan debt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

federal thru sallie mae

Dear Tonisha,

Unfortunately, if you are delinquent on federal student loan debt, the US Department of Education will be able to garnish your wages and seize your assets without a court judgment and simply based on administrative order.

You would have to contact Department of Education and contest any discrepancies in the loan amounts with them and in order to stop the garnishments, you would have to rehabilitate this delinquent loans by making full payments for 9 months and then your loans will be reinstated in good status.

I wish you the best of luck!