How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 31958
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took my car in to have it check as I planned on making a

This answer was rated:

I took my car in to have it check as I planned on making a couple of long distance trips. After looking at our car the dealership told us that it looked good, but recommended fluid and filter changes. We authorized the work and after they completed the work they called and told us that there was a transmission problem and that the car would not shift into overdrive. After days of haggling with them we picked up and car and paid for it only to discover that the the car was not drivable. It would not even shift out of first gear. The dealership is not willing to help us. We took iin a car that was fine and ended up with a car that we can not even operate. Is it worth our time, effort and money to take this further?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

You have two courses of action which are not mutually exclusive.

First, you can file a consumer complaint to the state attorney general's office. They will investigate and take appropriate action.

You should also file suit for breach of contract and consumer fraud. Under consumer fraud statutes you may be entitled to punitive damages and attorney fees. In fact, there are attorneys who do only consumer fraud cases because the defendant has to pay the attorney fees.

The important thing to remember is that you are not powerless here.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Under what grounds do we have to file for breach of contract and consumer fraud?
Which state?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the additional information.

You can file under the deceptive trade practices act.

It is certainly possible that they sabotaged the car when you refused to authorize the repair. In any event, a call from the attorney general's office may help motivate them in terms of customer service.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I will need to do further investigation on the Deceptive Trade Practices Act before I feel satisfied that it is something we can persue.
In any event, it seems as if something improper happened tomthe car while it was in the dealer's possession and you need not delay reporting it to the attorney general.
Loren and 4 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions