Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I am on social disability. I get 730.00 a month. I owe the

I am on social disability. I get 730.00 a month. I owe the irs 16000.00 approximately. I filed my back years with the irs in 2009. but I still owe the money. how do I get out of this or must I pay the 16000.00 I don't have any property, real estate, a car, or any jewelry or anything of real value. all I have is my clothes, old furniture and I live by myself. I am very scared. I feel like this is never going to be solved. how do I go about handling this difficulty of owing the irs??....
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Your only real option here is to negotiate a settlement with the IRS yet, since in these cases the IRS can seize benefits, such as SSDI, which are normally not subject to seizure. Even bankruptcy would not generally discharge this debt I am afraid, so you are in a very bad situation. The only way out is to seek to file an offer in compromise with the IRS and seek to get them to accept a lesser amount than they claim is due. If you cannot afford an attorney to negotiate this for you, then you should consider contacting the local legal aid center and also the FL bar and asking about tax attorneys in your area who would be able to assist you pro bono in negotiating this debt with the IRS.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.