Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

Does Smart Shoppers Savings Club have a record of consumer

Does Smart Shoppers Savings Club have a record of consumer fraud?

I am being contacted by them about payments that are allegedly due from me for a contract into which I inadvertently entered via a pop-up on my computer late one night in May 2012. They tell me I have signed up for two years with them and owe them $67.50 per month for June and July, and that they are about to send the account for collection.

Googling "Smart Shoppers Savings Club" leads to a web site that isn't the same as the club name, another that has all the Terms and Conditions on the site only in Latin(!), and more that I haven't yet had time to explore. How is a customer to contact a company that was able to hook me and reel me in with a pop-up teaser nevertheless unable to register their URL with the Google people to get to the top of the list (or even the top 10) so customers can contact them? (rhetorical question)

Have you seen other complaints about Smart Shoppers Savings Club, especially about their magazine subscription service? Any action taken against them? Anything of record? Is a contract purportedly for 2 years with only an online transaction to document it considered valid, or does the statute against frauds still apply?

Thanks for any help you can give me. They've milked me for close to a thousand dollars, I think, and I'm sick and tired of paying them for magazines I don't want (Maxim, Bow Hunter, and many others, for a widowed woman) and other services I don't even know about to assess whether I like them or not. Time for this to stop, especially my continuing payments.

Gail Simonton
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Yes, they have an F rating with the Better Business Bureau. See: Smart Shoppers BBB. Yes, there are numerous complaints about them being a scam. See: Scambook and Ripoff Report.

You need to send them a letter telling them effective immediately they must terminate your service. You need to send the collection agency a letter telling them you dispute the debt under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and to cease and desist all communications. You need to tell the company you will file a complaint with the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit as well. They do not have a history of suing anyone over this scam, they just call and bully and threaten them. If this is on your credit card, you need to cancel your credit card account they have so they cannot charge you any more money.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.