Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Company has an office in an executive suite: open floor with

Company has an office in an executive suite: open floor with 100 other offices and a fob to get past security downstairs.

What is the procedure for eviction? Company is already two months late on rent and hasn't paid the deposit.

3 day notice has not yet been given. Is that a necessary step to start the process, or is telling or emailing the company that it was terminating its contract sufficient?

? Can the executive suite company lock Company out by turning off the fobs (thus they can't get past security)?
Can they turn the A/C off in that particular office (inside office).
Can they change the locks?

Or...is it like an apartment where it's a 90 day process and that the landlord cannot make it uncomfortable?

NOTE: The Company has no way to dispute the rent was due. The place is in fine shape.
Note: Company had recent layoffs. CEO is only employee, along with freelancers when necessary.

EXTRA ORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES: CEO (only one running the company) has been severely distracted: his daughter attempted suicide. LA DA's offices' Crime Victim-Witness program has expedited the father and two girls into it. Helps pay psychologists etc..

This coupled with financial hardship: the above isn't cheap.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

To conduct a commercial eviction in CA, you must start with giving a 3 day written notice (not an email telling them they owe rent) stating they have 3 days to pay rent or leave. If they do not pay, then the landlord has to give them a 5 day written notice telling them to leave for unlawful detainer. If the tenant does not leave in the 5 days, then you can lock them out of the property contemporaneous with filing suit for unlawful eviction. They are then given 15 days to make arrangements to get their property with the landlord and if they fail to do so then the landlord sends them a notice of belief of abandonment telling them that you are seizing their property in the premises. The case would then go to court and you can get a court order against them and also seek a judgment for past due rents.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.