Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.

Hi, My Wife and I went to meeting 8/18/13 because we received

My Wife and I went to meeting 8/18/13 because we received a letter that had won 2 plane tickets and 2 night stay at a Marriott. We were to stay 90 mins. We purchased a membership to Island Trader Travel Club though Payless-Vacations.
My Wife and I have talked and would like to get our money back. It was on a credit card and the credit card comp. said we could dispute it.
Do we have any rights. We live in IL.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Does this involve the purchase of a timeshare? You entered into the contract in IL?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it is not a timeshare and Yes this was in IL

Hello again, Charles, and thank you for providing this additional information.

Unless the contract states otherwise, there would not typically be a right to rescind the contract within a certain period of time. Most contracts are binding from the moment they are executed and the legislature has enacted laws to provide for a cooling off period only in limited circumstances.

Here is a link which summarizes the law in IL:

However, if the seller has not fulfilled their obligations under the contract or engaged in fraud to induce you to sign the contract, those circumstances would typically provide grounds to terminate the agreement and pursue a refund or sue for damages.

If this is the case, then I would dispute the charge with my credit card company as well as sending a written notice by certified mail to the seller setting out the reasons you are terminating the agreement.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!