Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

hi. i want to know if i have a decent law suit here. I own

hi. i want to know if i have a decent law suit here. I own a hair salon and we recently signed a contract with the yellow pages to be a 'silver' member for $100.00 and with this we would be listed in the top 1-2 pages . the yellow pages came out and the phone number is XXXXX incorrectly in the book as well as online. Many many customers will not be able to get our number as the one listed is disconnected.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

No, unfortunately not. If you look at the contract you signed it will state that the damages are limited to the amount that you paid them.

Customer:

i dont like that answer. what about the damages caused by having a wrong number listed in the ph

JD 1992 :

I'm sorry you don't care for it, but if you read the contract you'll see I'm correct.

Customer:

contract or not, it is free to list a business in the yellow pages and they caused tons of damage by putting a disconnected number in there. surely there is some compensation

JD 1992 :

The contract will control and only allow you to recover the amount you paid them. If the contract doesn't have that language then you can sue and seek all the damages, but if you signed the contract with that language then you waived the right.

Customer:

okay. thanks. lost the paperwork so I guess I need to find out what I signed, but paments dont start until september.y

JD 1992 :

Yes, you definitely need to look at the contract because it will determine what can happen.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

i am thinking. I know there have been other cases like this posted on listserv

Customer:

i am just wondering if there is a connection between the contract to be further up the list and their responsibility to list the correct number

JD 1992 :

Probably. It isn't unusual at all for this to happen. I've had a half dozen clients it has happened to, that's why I'm so familiar with the issue.

Customer:

well that sux. if I hadnt signed a contract I would have a good case

JD 1992 :

Yes, they know it too, that's why they are so good at getting contracts signed.

Customer:

okay. thanks for the help.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and best wishes to you. Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) so I get credit for my work.