Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I have a contract with a Martial Arts school in Tracy, California

I have a contract with a Martial Arts school in Tracy, California that is up to march of next year. On the contract it says no cancellation. I recently moved to Elk Grove, California and assuming it would be ok, I called the owner regarding cancellation, he said no cancellations whatsoever. Elk Grove is over 60 miles away from Tracy. Is there a law of some sort that protects me from having to keep paying until the end of my contract?...
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, there is no law in California that would prevent a business to request for a customer to sign a contract which clearly states "no cancellation for any reason" and as long as the business is willing to continue to provide the contracted for service to the customer, such contract would be legally enforceable and the only option would be for you to try to negotiate a settlement with the school owner which would allow you to terminate this contract earlier for a reduced amount.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If I contact the owner and he says he doesn't want to negotiate a settlement, can he legally still collect the monthly payment from me?...If I decide to just not pay, can he take me to court and or send me to collections? I pay 175 a month and i have 7 months left on contract

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

If you are unable to reach a settlement with the owner, then the owner would generally be able to pursue collection under the contract for any unpaid amount until the expiration of the contract and if you refuse to pay, could take you to small claims court and will likely be able to obtain a judgment against you, based on the limited facts you have provided in your question.

I am sorry to provide you with this unwelcome answer, but the law is clear on similar situations and I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct information, even when the information is not favorable to the customer under the law.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney