shurmust
shurmust, Lawyer
Experience:  I have successfully prosecuted over 50 jury trials advocating on behalf of the government.
69736160

I run a non-profit organization in Ohio. I am currently renting

I run a non-profit organization in Ohio. I am currently renting a nature center from a county park district. I gave them a 30 day notice tonight that we would vacate the premises. They have given me a 24 hour notice to come into the building tomorrow to inventory the contents of the building. Other than allowing them in what else are they allowed to do? Can they open drawers, closets, etc?

shurmust :

Greetings! I am happy to help you answer this question, please understand I only receive credit upon positive feedback, I would kindly ask that that you give me the opportunity to satisfactorily answer your question before you provide feedback.

shurmust :

First, what county in Ohio? Also, in your lease, other than 24 hour notice, did you contract any rights whereby the county park officials may look through drawers and closets?

Customer:

Hi , It is Licking County. Here's what the lease states,

1. OWNER’S RIGHT TO INSPECT PROPERTY: Lessee agrees that Owner shall have the right to enter and inspect the Property for any reason, provided twenty-four (24) hours notice is given to Lessee prior to such entry and/or inspection.

Closets, they may be able to go into. Desks and drawers and personal items, no.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good! So what can I allow them to do during their "inventory"?

You have the right to monitor them and watch what they are doing. I would not say anything that may make them suspicious. However, if you have anything that you may not want them to see, it would be wise for you to remove anything from the building in the event they do something strange.
If you feel they are being intrusive, instruct them to leave and obtain a warrant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much. I give you an EXCELLENT rating.

Thank you.