How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq. , Attorney at Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 16112
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So I need help/advice on a certain issue. Im 19 years old,

Resolved Question:

So I need help/advice on a certain issue. I'm 19 years old, almost 20 and I've gambled since I was 18. I live in the state of Michigan and we have 1 casino(The Soaring Eagle) that allows the ages of 18 or older to gamble while the rest of the casinos in the state are 21(I wasn't aware of this at the time).
I went to a different casino(Gun Lake Casino) with my friend Monday to gamble(I'm big into blackjack). So we get to the front door and the guard asks for our ID's. We both hand her our ID's and she lets us through the door. I found an ATM and withdrew $400 from it. I sat at a blackjack table and laid $100 down as my first bet and won. Second bet I laid down $10 and got Blackjack(odds were 3/1 so I won $15). I was then asked for my ID and it caused a bit of a stir. I was approached by 2 security personal and was escorted out of the casino. They informed me that since I'm not 21, I'm not allowed to get ANY of my money back until I'm 21. I was pissed and called the management and they told me the same thing. I just got off the phone with the casino again and they informed me that I will not be receiving back my money AT ALL since I was underage, the money becomes "house money". So here's where I need help( and this may sound stupid). But can I get a lawyer involved since the first security guard let me past? I have no way to actually prove they have my money other than the confrontation I had AND ATM/bank slips that I withdrew money from an ATM within the casino
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Were the rules related to Gambling Age posted at the entrance or throughout the casino?

Is this a casino located on Indian Reservation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As of now, I'm unaware if there were any signs actually inside the casino stating that I had to be 21+, the only "regulation" the casino had was a guard at each entrance that would check ID's. My ID was checked and I was let past the guard and into the casino.


I'm going to say that yes, it is on an Indian Reservation as of the year 2009, the casino was opened in the year 2011. This link is what makes me believe it is an Indian Reservation.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Dear Austin,

What was the value of gaming chips that were confiscated from you?

Were you given any type of a receipt for any of the gaming chips that were confiscated?

Was police called and were you cited or arrested at any point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The value of chips that were confiscated from me was $515. $400 that was my own money, and $115 that WAS winnings.


No, I wasn't given a receipt for the gaming chips when they were confiscated


And no, the police wasn't called and I wasn't cited or arrested

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Dear Austin,

Was a trespass warning issued to you by the security and were you told that if you come back that you would be committing trespass and subject to prosecution?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I was not given a trespass warning or anything related to subject of prosecution. I was told I could get my money back when I turned the age of 21. I got off the phone with them today to request a receipt or document of some sort to verify that they did indeed confiscate my money, they told me that money was no longer mine and was considered "house money"

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Dear Austin,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, because this is a Casino owned by an Indian Tribe and located on an Indian Reservation, this casino would be outside of the jurisdiction of the local Michigan Ohio state courts and generally any legal action against an Indian Tribe would have to be brought in a federal court which is extremely expensive and generally such legal action would be cost prohibitive, especially over small amount of a claim that you have.

The only general option that you might have is to file complaint with the management of this casino and also with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and here is the link:

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Satisfied Customers: 16112
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Alex J. Esq. and 6 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions