Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

Hi maam, I and my wife got sued from a lawyer for not paying

Customer Question

Hi maam,
I and my wife got sued from a lawyer for not paying credit card about 6 months ago. When the first time I went to pretrial, the lawyer did not showed up. And they made another call for my wife. So when on pretrial for my wife, we made a promise to pay the requested amount, and I paid it soon, before the due date. Now, I found out from my credit record that I have a judgement on my public record. Is that any way I can ask or sue the lawyer or its client back for me having public record, as I paid everything as pretrial document said. Thanks.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

You can do several things.

JD 1992 :

First you can sue the company and the attorney for violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, state and federal.

JD 1992 :

In addition, you can file a Motion for Sanctions with the court for the lawyer proceeding with a judgment after you had paid the debt per the agreement.

JD 1992 :

Finally, you can file a complaint with the State Bar for the unethical actions of the lawyer.

JD 1992 :

You will want to call around and find an attorney to represent you, look for one who does Civil Trial Law or Consumer Law.

JD 1992 :

You can find on in the phone book but a better place is www.lawyers.com.

JD 1992 :

That website allows you to search by geographic location and by area of practice.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

Customer:

About the judgement, when I met customer service in that law firm, she said the judgement has been issued before pretrial of my wife (even on pretrial of mine the lawyer did not show up). Is it ok for them to sue different persons for one case and

Customer:

also not telling me what happen with the case - my pretrial process- (because of they were not being showed up) and it was not my fault.

JD 1992 :

They would have to sue everyone in one case for the same obligation/debt. They can't have different lawsuit foe the same thing.

JD 1992 :

If either of you paid the requested amount there shouldn't have been a judgment entered at all.

Customer:

So, from what I am telling you I think you think that I am OK to bring this case to the court ?

JD 1992 :

Yes, it seems pretty clear that they acted improperly.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you very much for you responds.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome!

Customer:

Bye.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

JD 1992 :

Bye!

Customer:

I will:). Thanks.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Irsal, Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JD 1992

One quick question. How much roughly it will cost me to hire lawyer for my case?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
It can vary quite a bit, probably $2500-5000.