Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
4460311

Im retired 2 years last June. My income consists of a pension direct deposit from Fi

I'm retired 2 years last June. My income consists of a pension direct deposit from Fiedelity Investments (from my retirement from Kraft Foods), and a SS deposit into my checking account... no other income... Can a garnishment be placed on that account in the State of Ga.? ... Or place a lien against property...?

Thanks,
WJSchaefer

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you have a judgment against you at this time?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

... "Do you have a judgment against you at this time?"...

No... I answered this... I do not see an answer to my question...

Hello again, William.

I just received your response. If you had attempted to respond previously to my question, please let me know and I will report it to the site for investigation.

A creditor cannot typically attach or seize any bank accounts without first obtaining a judgment against you. Taxing authorities can seize bank accounts without a court order, but creditors typically cannot.

Even if a judgment were obtained against you, your social security benefits are normally exempt from attachment. If your pension is an ERISA-qualified plan, then it would typically be exempt from attachment as well, but a creditor may seize the income from the pension once it is paid out to you.

Here is a link which lists assets which are typically exempt under GA law:

http://www.wbsonline.com/resources/georgia-post-judgment-asset-exemptions/

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.