Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction

What are my steps in trying to receive money that I have gave

What are my steps in trying to receive money that I have gave to a person? I think I have been scammed. I have all transactions for money grams, western union. I have emails, txt messages from this person promising that he would be paying everything back with interest. I have given him until 8-15-13 to pay.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your situation.

Where do you reside?

Where do they reside?

Are they employed?

Do they have any assets that you know of?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

They live in Alabama, I live in North Dakota. He is suppose to be back home in the states, I have not heard anything from my last transaction which was on July 9, 2013. I have his address. sent him letter stating giving him til the 15th of August to pay up.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 11 months ago.
Wow, problems with that - as to where they live and where you live.

How much money are you talking about that they owe you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

$7500.00

Expert:  Law Pro replied 11 months ago.
OK, the problems you have are:

1) you have to file suit against them in AL where they reside.

2) then you have to go there and be there in court for the hearing.

3) then they have the right to appeal - you will have to go there and attend a second hearing.

4) you get judgment:

Do they work?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

do not know. I think he is self employed. he is an engineer of some sort in building bridges. thats why he was over in nigeria on a project when all this crap happened. I had met him online and this is how this all happened in being taking advantage of.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 11 months ago.
Then that's another issue. Although AL allows for wage garnishment - they have to be employed by a company.

Since he's self-employed - you couldn't garnish his wages.

You met him on-line?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes. I am so dumb. learned a very expensive lessen.

I really don't know much about his employment. I think and know now that i have been lied to i think.

just give it to me, AM I SCREWED?

Expert:  Law Pro replied 11 months ago.
Regretfully, I think you have little to no hope of getting your money back.

What I would recommend you do is file a complaint with your state's Attorney General office AND the Alabama Attorney General Office about him and his scam.

It would appear that he is preying on individuals (maybe woman in general) and they might have knowledge about him - even criminal charges pending.

Regretfully you could add your name to the list or assist them in convicting him!!

But, given your situation - you are going to have a very difficult time recovering your money.

Regretfully, you aren't positive of any information he gave you. So even his name could be an alias.

I can almost guarantee that he gave you his wrong address - Alabama could be some place he just visits and contacts you from even???

I am truly sorry to give you this bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. I do ask that you rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not based upon whether the answer was good news or bad news. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your help. I had some idea that I was going to be out my funds and couldn't recoup them. I'm just sick of how stupid i was. He had a supposed friend involved with helping him scam more out of me. I have since have not heard from him either.

I am so ignorant and stupid.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 11 months ago.
No, add your name to the list of thousands of others who have been scammed.

These scammers are very professional in their approach to their intended victim. The more experience they have the better they are.

You are not the first, and regretfully, not the last.

I was a little dubious to begin with because even if he was legit - it's tough to sue someone in another state!!

I did not want you to throw good money after bad - waste more time and monies and get nothing.

Now, knowing what I know about the situation - I believe your only option is to file a complaint with the states' AGs and see if they can assist you OR you assist them in catching these guys.

Again, I am truly sorry to give you this bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. I do ask that you rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not based upon whether the answer was good news or bad news. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How and where do I get this information on the states AG. Can I get this through the internet?

Expert:  Law Pro replied 11 months ago.
Yes.

Here is how to contact your state's AG:

http://www.ag.state.nd.us/

Here's for Alabama:

http://www.ago.state.al.us/

On both of those websites they will direct you as to how to file a complaint against him.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).
Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience: 20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction