Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

Is there any way out of a car deal once papers are signed and

Is there any way out of a car deal once papers are signed and we have been driving it for a month. It has major problems that the dealership will not stand behind and we want out! It's a used car and we have not made the first payment yet. It is due on Friday. We paid too much for the car and desperately want to get out of the deal without ruining our credit!
Do we have any options?
Thank you!
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Was the car sold "as is" or was there any type of written warranty?
.
What type of problems does the vehicle have?
.
Have you taken the vehicle to a mechanic for an inspection?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe it was sold as is, no written warranty purchased. It has a broken motor mount and there are joints leaking grease. Problems we can't afford to fix right now. We are only dealing with the mechanics at the dealership so far.

Thank you for that information.
.
Did the dealer make any representations as to the car's condition?
,
Like "Oh, she is a great car, runs perfect, nothing at all wrong with her" or similar statements?
.
How long after the purchase did you become aware of the problems? How many miles had you driven?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The salesman went on and on about how thoroughly they check things over and how they don't sell "junk" and how well they stand behind things and how they know the importance of word of mouth as to their reputation. The day we picked up the car the check engine light went on on the way home, so we turned around had had it looked at. They couldn't find anything wrong and said it was fine. When it came on a day or so later, we made an appointment to have it looked at again, and no problems were found. So we were skeptical right from the day we drove it home.

Ok, since the car was sold "as is" with no warranty, then about the only chance I see for you to be able to get out of the deal is if you file suit against the dealer based on fraud and misrepresentation.
.
You would need to have the car checked out and see if there is any evidence that the dealer mechanic tampered with it or took actions to try and conceal any problems with the vehicle.
.
Then if the dealer made statements that there was nothing wrong with the car while knowing that they were concealing problems, that is fraud and misrepresentation and you can hold them liable.
.
It isn't going to be an easy case to prove, but if you filed suit against them, they may agree to take it back or settle with you for repairs rather than be dragged into court and have to hire an attorney to defend.
.
.
Thanks