LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

Are pharmacies such as Walgreens required to send all their

Are pharmacies such as Walgreens required to send all their prescription customers to consultation before they can get their prescriptions? I have been using same prescriptions over and over and over and yet the pharmacy won't let me take them unless I tell the pharmacist in person at a different window that I decline consultation. Once I was kept waiting ten minutes because he was busy.

I called Walgreens headquarters and they said all states require this. I then checked Wisconsin statutes and it seems it is required if the drug is antimicrobial, and they have to make sure the customer is not allergic to it. None of the drugs I take is antimicrobial.

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. My goal: To Do My Best To Assist You. Please remember, I can only provide general information,as this is a public forum.

LegalGems :

A few moments please as I look into this for you.

LegalGems :

Thank you for your patience. According to Phar 7.01e, the pharmacist is required to give "appropriate" consultation: please see http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/phar/7.pdf and also please see 7.015 (2)(q) which requires the pharmacist to provide a consultation before transferring the prescription to the patient.

LegalGems :

So unfortunately, yes the pharmacist is legally responsible to provide a consultation for all prescription medicine.

Customer:

Hello?????

I wanted to be sure that you didn't have any follow up questions as I was unable to access the site for a few moments due to internet connectivity issues.

If you have any, please post them here.

Otherwise, I wanted to thank you for the generous bonus - it is appreciated!

If you have future estate planning or consumer protection questions, you can request me by putting TO LEGALGEMS in front of the question.

Please don't forget to fill out the customer satisfaction survey the site will be sending you.

Thank you, and Take Care!