LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator

A bought a 2003 Honda Civic salvage titled vehicle approximately

A bought a 2003 Honda Civic salvage titled vehicle approximately five months ago. He bought it,"as is." Now the latch is wobbly & won't firmly secure the hood so he had to attach a bungee cord to the hood.
Q: Does A have a legitimate claim under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act?

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. My goal: To Do My Best To Assist You. Please remember, I can only provide general information,as this is a public forum.

LegalGems :

Good evening. Generally an as is sale operates under the premise of "caveat emptor" - buyer beware- unless the buyer can prove that the seller knew or should have known of the defect. Since this involved a salvaged title with an as is sale, I am sorry to say that I think recovery would be unlikely; but give me a few moments to see if I can find something to the contrary.

LegalGems :

Unless you can prove that the seller purposely misled you (i.e. false statements, misrepresentations, etc) it would be very difficult to bring a claim under the DTPA. Please see:

I wanted to be sure and thank you for using JA/Pearl.

I hope you found the information I provided useful. I wish I had better information for you, but those As Is sales can be quite harmful to the buyer.

If you would like to request me for your future legal inquires, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question, and I will do my best!
Take care.