Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What is the statute of limitation for legal malpractice in

What is the statute of limitation for legal malpractice in NYC? WOuld it be the same as statute of limitation for getting back the fees? is there a separate statute of limitations for disciplinary actions/disbarring? thank you
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

What is the statute of limitation for legal malpractice in NYC?

New York’s statute of limitations is 2.5 years in medical malpractice cases.

WOuld it be the same as statute of limitation for getting back the fees?

No. If the nature of the matter is contesting the fees, then this falls under fraud, which has a six years, per N.Y. Civ. Prac. L. & R. §213, if the entity took money that they should not have taken.

is there a separate statute of limitations for disciplinary actions/disbarring? thank you

This is a non-legal, arbitrary process, with a complaint filed to Office of Professional Medical Conduct, here. As such, there IS NO statute of limitations and a complaint may be filed at any time, and the state may investigate and admonish/punish/suspend/void one's license as they see fit.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i do not think we are communicating. Please review my question. does it say MEDICAL malpractice? NO. It says clearly "LEGAL" malpractice. Please answer the question asked, not a random question. Thank you.

Friend,

Ah, my sincere apologies. You did indeed state legal malpractice. My apologies again for the miscommunication.

In New York, the Statute of Limitations for legal malpractice cases is three years.

No, there is not. The complaint may be made to the NY Bar, which may investigate and punish/admonish/suspend/void a license as they see fit - please see here.

Again, please accept my apologies for the miscommunication.