Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Can we cancel a contractors agreement within 3 business day

Can we cancel a contractor's agreement within 3 business day of signing?

We live in Fairfax County. The contractor is out of Fredericksburg, VA.

Our garage door was not working properly so we called "Garage Door" and they sent us a technician from a company on its registry. (I think that is how it works.)

The tech had a litany of parts to be replaced but then he said we may as well get a new door, too, as it would cost about the same with a new door as it would keeping the old. The "old" is only a few years' old and in excellent shape and we are being charged almost $2,000. for the new door (which carries the same name as the company).
There seems to be an extra $69.00 added on the subtotal for labor. The warranty clause in the fine print was incomplete.

Also stated is they must inspect door on a yearly basis to maintain warranties.

We have paid half of the cost by credit
but do not feel comfortable with this contract.

Can this contract be cancelled within "three business days" and if so, would notice of cancellation sent by certified mail, return receipt requested be suffficient?
The company gave us a "senior's discount!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for the question.

INFOLAWYER :

reviewing your question now

INFOLAWYER :

The "Cooling Off Period" applies only to certain contracts, such as personal service contracts (gym memberships or health club memberships etc.), or services that are sold "door to door". There is also a 15 day cooling off period for cell phone contracts. Other than those exceptions, there is no "cooling off" or cancellation period for contracts if you change your mind.

INFOLAWYER :

You may however cancel where the contract itself has a cancellation policy

INFOLAWYER :

and you also have a common law right to cancel where contractor has misled you or breached the terms.

INFOLAWYER :

Let me know if that is clear.

Customer:

Clear -- we have to accept the contract as is - "buyer beware!

INFOLAWYER :

right

INFOLAWYER :

subject to those exceptions

Customer:

Thanks - you verified what i suspected. Thanks for your clarification.

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

INFOLAWYER :

kindly click on an excellent rating for the answer

INFOLAWYER :

Have a nice day

Customer:

Hope your day is going better than mine. So long

INFOLAWYER :

I wish you best of luck and consider if any of the exceptions apply or if you want to try to negotiate

INFOLAWYER :

sometimes the dealer will lie, or have a cancellation clause

INFOLAWYER :

and you would have leverage there

INFOLAWYER :

not wanting a dept of consumer affairs complaint or a BBB complaint, contractor may be willing to settle

INFOLAWYER :

Wishing you the best and a better rest of the week

INFOLAWYER :

I have turned on the rating feature and would ask that you click on the positive rating to put the rating through, that is how i get credit for it.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.