Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I jut bought a 99 suburban less than 2 weeks ago from an in

Customer Question

I jut bought a 99 suburban less than 2 weeks ago from an in house dealership here in Dickinson and now the vehicle is completely broken and won't start is there any way to just give them the vehicle back I honestly don't care about the money I just don't want something that's going to break like this I'd rather buy from a private owner instead now
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Which state?

Was the car purchased as-is or with a warranty?

Were any representations made by the dealer in writing as to the condition of the vehicle?

Did you have your own mechanic check the vehicle before it was purchased?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it in North Dakota
Purchases as-is
And as far as I know all he said to the vehicles was as-is in writing
It's impossible to have a mechanic just look at a vehicle here in Dickinson,nd you have to wait almost 3 weeks to get it into a shop
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, North Dakota's Lemon Law does not cover used vehicles and an as-is transaction generally relieves the seller of any further liability regarding the condition of the vehicle after the sale is completed.

However, there are several other types of laws that can be used to help you in the event you discover that you've bought a used car lemon. First, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has what's called the Used Car Rule that requires dealers to provide consumers with a Buyer's Guide with warranty and other types of information. If the dealer has in any way failed to abide by the FTC Used Car Rule, you may have the basis for a legal claim.

Second, each state has what are called Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) laws. If the dealer has, for example, made verbal promises or didn't tell you about issues relating to your used car, you may have a cause of action.

Third, North Dakota's version of the Uniform Commercial Code may provide you with relief.

Finally, the Truth in Lending Act and the Federal Odometer Act might also be valuable in obtaining lemon justice.

You may want to file a complaint with the ND Attorney General consumer fraud division.. Often a call from the AG's office will motivate a dealer to resolve the problem mores so than a call from you alone.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I am unclear as to why you rated my service negatively. If I misunderstood your question I apologize. Is there further information I may provide to help clarify my answer? I am happy to answer your follow up questions until you are satisfied.

JudgeLaw