Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.

I have had my Car at an Auto Repair, and they keep giving us

I have had my Car at an Auto Repair, and they keep giving us the run around, it has been there since Tues teh 23rd and it is now Sat. We gave them a Deposit to fix something sinple in the Transmission. They have repeatedly told us yes the car will be ready on Thursday and then they so oh no it will be Friday by 11:00, and then they said to call on Sat Morning it will for sure be done. Did so, and Know it will be a few more Hours. Is my Best Bet to go to the Better Busines Bureau, if it is not done today??? We are obviously being messed around with. Need to know what to do. Thank You for Your time Roberta [email protected] or XXX-XXX-XXXX

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Has the mechanic indicated what the delays are due to? Do you know whether they are licensed mechanics?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe they are Licensed Mechanics, but my Friend has been dealing with these people. Suppedly they told my Friend that they were re-building the Transmission and did not do it correctly the first time. However each day they have said yes you can pick it up Thurs Afternoon, then Friday Afternoon and now Sat Afternoon and the last time my Friend tried to call around 11:00 this morning , which is when He said to call, this guy Hung up on him. We are going to go there shortly and I am going to find out if they are Licensed for sure. I live way up in Altadena, CA and they are in L.A., so each time we drive out there it is costing me not only my time but money in Gas. If they were not able to fix it, they should have said so when we brought it in.

Hello again, Roberta.

I agree, they should not have taken on this repair if they are not qualified or experienced to rebuild the transmission. And if they were qualified and experienced, you would typically expect them to know not only how to rebuild it, but how much time it might take.

What I would normally do under these circumstances, is file a complaint against them with the state Bureau of Automotive Repair. Even if they are not licensed, this agency regulates them and has the authority to investigate and aid you resolving the problem.

Here is a link to the agency's website:

You could also file a complaint with the BBB in an attempt to resolve the dispute through that process, but under these circumstances I would normally first file a complaint with the BAR.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.