Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can I be held responsible for a Nursing Home bill that is left

Can I be held responsible for a Nursing Home bill that is left after my Mother-in-law died? This is in Arizona. I was a signature on her checking account but did not have power of attorney. I signed checks for her Share of Cost to the home each month. Now the nursing home tells me there was a penalty on her ALTCS and is sending two statements. One in my deceased mother-in-law’s name, and the other to my mother-in-law, in care of me, for almost $5,000.00. She was AHCCCS eligible, had no estate. Her only income was Social Security.

I spoke to the billing department last month and explained the situation. I was told it would then be left as an unpaid bill, but I received two more statements this month.

Am I legally responsible for this statement?
Can this affect my credit?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response 1: No, you are not. You are not responsible for your deceased mother in-law's bills even if you were her Attorney-in-fact (Power of Attorney). You have no contract whatsoever with the nursing facility.

Can this affect my credit?

Response 2: No. The bill is not yours. The bill cannot go on your credit file because you did not sign any contract with the facility and you did not provide the facility with your Social Security Number. Your credit report is linked to your Social Security Number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get the Home to stop sending me a bill? How many bills can they send before this stops?

Response: You need to send them a simple letter telling them to stop sending the bills to you because you are not responsible for the bills. That the estate of your deceased mother-in-law has no assets to pay the bills. That's all you need to do. If they keep sending the bills, just throw them in the trash. You may also at that time file lawsuit against then for illegal collection practices.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.