Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

my husband was going to purchase a metal building..he was told

my husband was going to purchase a metal building..he was told the purchase would be held for a year..just put a deposit of 10%..he wanted the blueprints he was told he had to pay another 15% to get the prints..talking to reps he was told 3 different stories...finally we were fed up cancelled the order wanted our deposit back...were told because we cancelled we now have to pay 50% of the balance since we this legal? also were told that the size of the building is not even what we ordered.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Did you or your husband sign anything saying that you would be repsonsible for 50% of the balance if you canceled?

he thought he was only signing for his credit card to be charged..after speaking to the rep I went back and looked at what he very small print it does say about the 50%..but they lied about the size of the its smaller than what we agreed was supposed to be a extra building they bought from a closed they are saying they have to build the purchase order is in both names..i never signed

JD 1992 :

Was the size specified on the order?

JD 1992 :

It looks like the chat function is having problems so I am going to switch this to a Q and A format. If you can see this, please exit and reenter the question. I am about to step away from the computer for about 10 minutes but I will pick up as soon as I return.

width 26 length 36 eave height 12 roof pitch 4:12

Were all of those dimensions specified on the order or contract? If not, what are they telling you now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that the building is 23 by 33ft

I still need an answer to the part about what the contract says. I am trying to find out if they are telling you that they can't or won't provide the dimensions that are in the contract.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the contract says26 by 36 they r saying his building is 23 by33..

If they can't provide the building that the contracted for then they can't hold you to having to pay the 50% for canceling. There are a number of reasons for this, the most important being that they breached the contract first and therefore have "unclean hands".

You might be able to get out of the contract anyway but even without looking at it the fact that they can't provide what they promised relieves you of the liability for paying the 50% and you should even be able to get your deposit back.

You need to call the credit card company and make sure the company doesn't "ding" the credit card for the 50% and then follow up with it in writing.

You also should consider getting an attorney and having them write a letter to the company asking for your money back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

write It in writing to the credit card co?

Yes, call them first so that they can't do it in the meantime but send it to them in writing by certified mail, return receipt requested, explaining that you are not authorizing it.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.