Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

My bank has made several mistakes on my account while using

My bank has made several mistakes on my account while using online billing. Not once, but twice they have over charged my account by 1000% for a payment!!! Leaving me overdrawn and without access to my money while they resolve this issue.

I have called repeatedly to fix this problem. The second time I called the customer service agent said there wasn't even notes on the account to reflect the first call. The only thing the bank has offed is "sorry for the convenience" or "we'll get this taken care of", but the problem is not getting resolved in almost a week.

It's not just an inconvenience, I'm out of cash!

What really upsets me, is if I made an error or have overdrawn, the bank would automatically subtract fees off my account.

I want to be compensated for this, "inconvenience"!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Is there a specific question I could assist you with?

Customer:

I don't know what I can do. The bank keeps locking up my account because of mistakes that are not my fault.

Customer:

I want to be compensated for this.

Customer:

its much more than just an inconvenience

JD 1992 :

I understand your facts, is there a specific question I can answer for you?

Customer:

Is it possible to have the bank compensate me for this?

JD 1992 :

You can certainly recover any damages that you are out and you can sue for "mental anguish" however, the amount you are likely to recover will depend on exactly what happened and how it happened.

JD 1992 :

You would be likely to recover more if this is an ongoing problem and they are ignoring it as opposed to if it was just a software glitch that happened once.

Customer:

And if the bank refuses?

JD 1992 :

or twice.

JD 1992 :

You have to sue. It is unlikely the bank is going to compensate you for the hassle unless you sue them.

JD 1992 :

There is just no real motivation for them to do so.

Customer:

OK. What type of attorney do I hire?

JD 1992 :

Every now and then they'll give in if you hire a lawyer and have them write a letter.

JD 1992 :

Look for a lawyer that does either Civil Litigation or Consumer Law.

JD 1992 :

It's hard to find one that specializes in suing banks and Consumer Law doesn't fit exactly but they would have the skills set as would a Civil Litigation lawyer.

JD 1992 :

You should also be able to recover your attorney's fees.

Customer:

OK. And if I lose?

JD 1992 :

You won't recover anything and there is a chance you would have to pay their attorney's fees. Not a big chance, but a chance.

Customer:

OK. Thank you.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

I can't think of anything else. Thank you.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome!

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you. Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) so I get credit for my work.

JD 1992 :

I'll exit now to assist others.

Customer:

Of course. Have a good night.

JD 1992 :

To you as well.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.