P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

i had my bathroom remodeled and was given a blank copy of the

i had my bathroom remodeled and was given a blank copy of the contract to initial. they submit application for a permit to do the work to the township. the price the quoted to the township is three times less than what I was billed. when i complainted, the submitted a copy of the blank contract with my initials filled in. I have a copy of the blank contract with my initials. the company is billing me three times more than what I was quoted and what that turned into to the township. Do i have any grounds with this transaction?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I want to make sure I understand...they quoted you one price...had you sign a blank contract and then jacked up the price 3x?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the price quoted and the price submitted to the township for permit is different from what i am being billed.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

If you had a contract, and they quoted you a particular price, and then changed the price? You can go back to them and demand they accept the original quote. This is basic contract law. When you entered into a contract, and agreed on the price, they are bound to the terms of the contract. If they want to try and charge you more, you can refuse to pay...and can even sue them and force them to complete the contract for the agreed upon price.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they are rejecting my request for correction of price. they filled in the blanks and then said this is what i agreed, but i did not. the salesmen states he would send me copy of the contract via email, but he never did and the disc he left me with is blank. I feel this iwas a fruadulent transaction. only proof i have about the cost of the project, is the documents the contractor sent to the township with the total cost of 4,471.00 but they billed me 13,000.00.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
But you have a copy of the blank form correct?

That will be the evidence you can use to show that the lied to you.

If this goes to court, they have to prove you agreed to the 3X price...if they can not, they can not sue you and win. SO what you describe, since they can not prove what you agreed to, they are going to have a tough time suing you.

If they do sue, you will be able to testify and explain what happened.

So it sounds like you have a great case.

It would have been better to get a copy of the contract with the original quote...but as I stated, since they did not give you that, you can testify at the trial and explain what happened.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in your opinion,the quote the contractor submitted to the township and the blank copy that I have ( not the filled in later copy that the company have) would that help me prove my case? if so, i do I proceed with legal action against the company, it is a 14, 000.00 difference between bill and docmuents sent to township for permits to do the work. the company states, if I do not pay the billed amout, they will notifiy all three credit reporting agencies.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Yes...both together I think helps your case.

How do you proceed? Depends on where you are at. IF the work is finished and they try and sue you? You can defend by going to court and testifying as to what happened.

If they have not finished, you can hire someone to perform the work and then sue them to recover the difference between what they promised and what you had to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the work is completed except for the medicine cabinet they refuse to install saying it was not part of the contract. if I do not pay them, they will report negatively to credit reporting agency which would affect me negatively. can they garnish my pay without going to court,? Should I do this with out legal representation?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
They can NOT garnish your pay without going to court.

If they report this to the credit reporting agencies, you can sue them under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The FCRA provides for $1000 statutory damages AND for attorney fees...so you can sue them and collect if they try and damage your credit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How should i proceed, just not pay them and let them sue me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should I stop paying them ?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
I suspect they will not sue you...not based on what you describe. What you describe, they have overcharged you...if they sue you they have to prove the contract price.

But yes....if they sue then you will want to testify at court as to what the contract was for.

And paying them? I would try and work out a settlement to resolve this without court. But if you can not resolve you can stop paying over what you agreed to and make them sue you to try and collect any more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are there lawyers who do this kind of law and how do i search for them?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
this is a contract law case...most lawyers who work contact law can assist. You can contact your state bar to find one or more to help
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience: 16+ yrs. of legal experience.