How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 32618
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i had my bathroom remodeled and was given a blank copy of the

This answer was rated:

i had my bathroom remodeled and was given a blank copy of the contract to initial. they submit application for a permit to do the work to the township. the price the quoted to the township is three times less than what I was billed. when i complainted, the submitted a copy of the blank contract with my initials filled in. I have a copy of the blank contract with my initials. the company is billing me three times more than what I was quoted and what that turned into to the township. Do i have any grounds with this transaction?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I want to make sure I understand...they quoted you one price...had you sign a blank contract and then jacked up the price 3x?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, the price quoted and the price submitted to the township for permit is different from what i am being billed.

Thank you

If you had a contract, and they quoted you a particular price, and then changed the price? You can go back to them and demand they accept the original quote. This is basic contract law. When you entered into a contract, and agreed on the price, they are bound to the terms of the contract. If they want to try and charge you more, you can refuse to pay...and can even sue them and force them to complete the contract for the agreed upon price.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they are rejecting my request for correction of price. they filled in the blanks and then said this is what i agreed, but i did not. the salesmen states he would send me copy of the contract via email, but he never did and the disc he left me with is blank. I feel this iwas a fruadulent transaction. only proof i have about the cost of the project, is the documents the contractor sent to the township with the total cost of 4,471.00 but they billed me 13,000.00.

But you have a copy of the blank form correct?

That will be the evidence you can use to show that the lied to you.

If this goes to court, they have to prove you agreed to the 3X price...if they can not, they can not sue you and win. SO what you describe, since they can not prove what you agreed to, they are going to have a tough time suing you.

If they do sue, you will be able to testify and explain what happened.

So it sounds like you have a great case.

It would have been better to get a copy of the contract with the original quote...but as I stated, since they did not give you that, you can testify at the trial and explain what happened.....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in your opinion,the quote the contractor submitted to the township and the blank copy that I have ( not the filled in later copy that the company have) would that help me prove my case? if so, i do I proceed with legal action against the company, it is a 14, 000.00 difference between bill and docmuents sent to township for permits to do the work. the company states, if I do not pay the billed amout, they will notifiy all three credit reporting agencies.

Yes...both together I think helps your case.

How do you proceed? Depends on where you are at. IF the work is finished and they try and sue you? You can defend by going to court and testifying as to what happened.

If they have not finished, you can hire someone to perform the work and then sue them to recover the difference between what they promised and what you had to pay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the work is completed except for the medicine cabinet they refuse to install saying it was not part of the contract. if I do not pay them, they will report negatively to credit reporting agency which would affect me negatively. can they garnish my pay without going to court,? Should I do this with out legal representation?

They can NOT garnish your pay without going to court.

If they report this to the credit reporting agencies, you can sue them under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The FCRA provides for $1000 statutory damages AND for attorney you can sue them and collect if they try and damage your credit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How should i proceed, just not pay them and let them sue me?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should I stop paying them ?

I suspect they will not sue you...not based on what you describe. What you describe, they have overcharged you...if they sue you they have to prove the contract price.

But yes....if they sue then you will want to testify at court as to what the contract was for.

And paying them? I would try and work out a settlement to resolve this without court. But if you can not resolve you can stop paying over what you agreed to and make them sue you to try and collect any more.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are there lawyers who do this kind of law and how do i search for them?

this is a contract law case...most lawyers who work contact law can assist. You can contact your state bar to find one or more to help
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 32618
Experience: 16+ yrs. of legal experience.
P. Simmons and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions