How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 32618
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im being sued by a company called suttell and hammer in Washington

This answer was rated:

I'm being sued by a company called suttell and hammer in Washington state. This is the second time they are suing me over a debt. The first time, it was over a credit card debt I had already settled. When I called to say that they basically told me that it didn't matter that it was settled because now they were in charge of it. They ended up garnishing about 5,000$ from a 2,000$ debt. The last payment was garnished in Jan. Now they just sent another claim for an additional 3,000$ on the same loan! On the summons they sentit said I had 20 days to address it from the date that it was first put it, but the postmark date of when they sent it was already passed the 20 day mark!! How is that even remotely legal???
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What you describe is a "demand letter"

They are demanding you pay them or they will sue.

A demand letter has no legal weight.

That is, the demand letter, in and of itself, can not be used to force you to pay anything.

So the dates on the letter are not significant...or, rather, the fact they dated the letter one day and sent it to you weeks later has no legal significance.

What will have significance is if they file a lawsuit and serve you notice.

If you are served notice for a lawsuit (called service of process), that is significant, since that is the first and required step to bring you into court. If you are served process, you will want to address that by responding to the complaint and showing up at the hearing.

Now..if you do not owe them any money, I would expect that their lawsuit will not go very far. To obtain a judgement (which is needed to garnish wages) they have the burden to prove that you still owe them money. Unless then can do so? There is no way the court will issue a judgment.

You can certainly contact yourself and dispute this. Or you can wait to see if they actually file suit.

Again, if they can not prove you owe the money the court is not going to grant a judgment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't believe that it is a demand letter. It says it's a writ of garnishment. So it looks like they have already won the judgement. But, the figures don't add up. They already garnished the amount they said I originally owed and then stopped garnishing. now they are trying to garnish again for more, and the 20 days I have to say anything about it has already passed. How can I find out if this is just a demand letter, or if this is actually just another garnishment? The first time around they didn't give me a chance to explain either, one moment I was being served (which they sent the original summons to a house I no longer lived in, and I missed the court date because I had no idea I was even being served), and the first I was to hear of it I was already getting garnished.

If it is a writ of garnishment, then you are correct...that is something to be concerned with.

You need a this point, it sounds like they may have misrepresented to the court what you owe. You can file a motion with the court to vacate (toss out) the garnishment order. It also sounds like you may have a basis to vacate the original judgment (if they did not serve you process properly, that would be a basis to toss out the original judgment)

But to do this you will need to file a motion with the court.

You can try this yourself...but that is not often a good idea, The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, you want a lawyer.

The lawyer can file a motion to vacate the garnishment order as well as the original judgment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if I file a motion to vacate for both the garnishment orders, would I get my original garnishments back?

The motion you want to win is a motion to vacate the original judgment. If you can show that you never received service of process as required by law? Then the court can vacate that judgment...that would in effect restart the case. And the money you paid would no longer be theirs...but they can also refile the suit...since if you win the vacation hearing, they still can refile the claim against you. SO ultimately if you owe them money, they can force you to pay.

But if you can show you payed what you owe? That you owe them no more?

A motion can get the court to vacate the current garnishment order

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 32618
Experience: 16+ yrs. of legal experience.
P. Simmons and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions