Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

Hi i was at court today for Repair and Storage Liens Act. basically

Hi i was at court today for Repair and Storage Liens Act.
basically a mechanic fixed my truck but the he done my truck was not right.he put lien on my truck later on he seized my truck by bailiffs.i took the mechanic and bailiff to court.
make the store short
it was a court date for us today,both sides asked question from each other.i remember a few times i jumped in between conversations, judge ordered me not to do so.
in end of the court judge said he will make decisions soon.
when i went to pick up the judge decision copy for myself.
on his decision section he wrote his judgment like this
"for oral reason he give judgment to mechanic and bailiff"
my first question from you as lawyer what the "oral reason means on judge judgment means?
second question what options i have regarding his decision for my benefit?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for the question.

INFOLAWYER :

by oral decision he is referring to the record

INFOLAWYER :

I take it the decision was recorded

INFOLAWYER :

so he is referring to the court record as recorded.

INFOLAWYER :

You should seek to get a copy of the transcript and order

INFOLAWYER :

once you have both to the extent it awards you relief it may be enforced

INFOLAWYER :

if awarded a judgment, you may seek to have a collections firm locally pursue enforcement

INFOLAWYER :

or likewise use a sheriff for that purpose

INFOLAWYER :

Is that clear?

Customer:

he actually made a judgment against me.

INFOLAWYER :

I see

INFOLAWYER :

you may then consider appealing

INFOLAWYER :

or consider settling with the other side

INFOLAWYER :

as appeals are time consuming and often not successful

Customer:

so i call the other side saying what?

INFOLAWYER :

You may offer to settle for half the judgment for example

INFOLAWYER :

as enforcing a judgment can be difficult and time consuming

INFOLAWYER :

and they may think you may appeal and take up more time and costs

Customer:

ok,let me try that.

INFOLAWYER :

Is that clear and acceptable?

INFOLAWYER :

Excellent

INFOLAWYER :

Good luck

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click on a positive rating for the answer

Customer:

anything else i could do

INFOLAWYER :

settlement is the most practical

INFOLAWYER :

appeal is time consuming and difficult as noted

INFOLAWYER :

hiring a lawyer likewise and expensive

Customer:

ok.thanks

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

INFOLAWYER :

have a nice weekend

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly rate the answer as excellent

INFOLAWYER :

thank you in advance

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

sorry, forgot to tell you that the amount judge give them judgment which was $7500. i already deposited that amout in court order to get my truck from bailiff.

you said i could try to settle with them since the money in court and they got judgment.how i could settle them?

You could agree on a reduced amount or a payment plan. They may not want to risk your filing an appeal or otherwise contesting the decision.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok.thanks

Very welcome. Kindly click on a positive rating for the answer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so sorry again

You said i could agree on a reduced amount or a payment plan?

as i said the money they wanted i deposited in court in order to release my truck from bailiff.

don't they just get the money from the court they have court judgment in their hand?

They dont have to settle with you, but just because it is in court and they have a judgment does not mean you may not appeal or take other steps. For peace of mind and finality, they may agree to take less. Kindly rate the answer positively.