Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

Do you have the right to rescind a used vehicle purchase in

Do you have the right to rescind a used vehicle purchase in AL for any reason?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, so please don't "shoot the messenger", but there is no 3 day right of rescission in vehicle sales contracts in Alabama.
.

Many consumers are under the impression that they have a 3-day right to cancel any and all consumer purchases. However, this is not true. The right to cancel law applies only to very specific situations.

.

The 3-day right to cancel law applies to sales made at facilities other than the seller's place of business. Such locations may be the consumer's residence and places rented on a temporary or short-term basis, such as hotel rooms or convention centers.

.

A "home solicitation transaction" takes place whenever a consumer purchases goods or services for more than $25 payable in cash or installments at a place other than the seller's place of business. The place other than the seller's place of business may be the consumer's home, but it may also be a place that the merchant has rented on a temporary basis, such as a hotel room or convention center.

.

So if you entered into the contract at the dealer's location, then the contract was legally binding as soon as you signed it.

.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.